MkVI problem

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
Jim27
New

MkVI problem

Post by Jim27 »

Hi everyone,

Sorry for making a request for help as my first post (!!), but we're all scratching our heads here....

My Mum's got a 2002 (I think) MkVI 1.9 TDi Sport (and very nice it is too :)). It was left standing for about a week and a half through the freezing cold weather, then seemed (initially) to start ok.

She pulled off the drive and set off - but the PAS just disappeared.. then all the dash lights came on, ABS light, etc. etc. flashing away and an electric alarm could be heard - and the car died.

So she left it in the sunshine, assuming that it was just frozen solid. Came back and it started fine so thought nothing of it. Then a few days later (when it's freeezing cold again) my Dad goes out about 10pm to run the engine for a bit and defrost the car (so it's easier to defrost in the morning). He's got the engine on, hot air blowing, rear heated window on etc. etc. Then the same thing happened - dash lights all came on and alarm noise. So he turned the ignition off and removed the key - upon removing the key the interior light flashed twice.

Wierd...

My thoughts at this point are dodgy battery, bad earth or knackered alternator. So the RAC chappie comes out - very nice he was too - and we fed him digestives and cups of tea whilst he has a fiddle around. His conclusion is that the alternator's probably stuffed, so charges the battery off his van. After 15 minutes or so, they try the old girl again and she starts up, no problems. RAC chap is packing his stuff away when my Dad remembers that there was a problem with the headlights the other night, so they turn the headlights on....

...and no dashboard illumination :(

So the RAC chap scratches his head and gets into the car. No sooner is his bum on the seat than the dash lights all lights up and flash again, accompanied by the alarm noise. Poo.

Soooo..... the car went down to the local VW dealer who ran full diagnostics on it and could find nothing - absolutely NOTHING - wrong with it. Battery was fine. Alternator was fine. Earths all seemed good. Plus there was no fault history logged on the ECU...?????

My Mum has also noticed that before this, if she had the rear heated window on at the same time as the heater fan on full, then after 60 seconds or so the rear heated window button begins flashing.

The car's back with VW to let it freeze up overnight in their car park so that (hopefully) the fault will re-appear for them. My own thoughts are that the ECU has lost power somehow, hence lost it's fault code log.

But as to what the heck could actually be causing it.... ???? Any ideas? Anyone? The VW dealership have never heard of the rear heated window button flashing OR of the interior light flashing twice on removal of the key from the ignition. If they STILL can't find anything wrong with it then it looks like it'll be the holy water and a crucifix - unless anyone on here has any suggestions?

Cheers,

Jim