how well does yours go?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Ant_43
Bronze Member

how well does yours go?

Post by Ant_43 »

How smooth do your gti's run with standard engine setup, (if you can remember)?

e.g. if i hold revs at 1500ish, it doesn't run totally smooth, seems to vibrate the car a lot and kindof searches for the right rev point?

Since buying bout 2 months ago, i've thought surely a new(ish) car like this should run smoother than mine does?

Would be good to know if any one else on here has experienced this or thought their gti runs a bit "lumpy", because it really has started to worry me. If this problem is fixed i think i will be happy, and can start enjoying the old poolo.

car is 2001 gti
56k miles
recently had new leads, cam belt, water pump, pedal box recall, and temperature gauge sender replaced

Please let me know if you've had this, or an idea of what it could be thats causing this?

thanks people

ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Personally I dont think it likes low revs much, mine can be a bit jumpy at low speeds in 1st / 2nd gear although I don't usually have to worry because I'm usually doing at least 30 :lol:
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

mine is jumpy in first and second at about 1500 as well, i dont think they like going slow
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

nickpolo wrote:mine is jumpy in first and second at about 1500 as well, i dont think they like going slow
Mine too, if I am too brutal with the gas pedal! If you come off the gas sharply in 1st or 2nd, or sometimes just be starting to accelerate at about that 1500 rev marker, she can be a bit unsettled and sometimes jumps a bit, tries it's best to kangaroo down the road! Doesn't happen too often because over the two and a half years I've had my Polo I've learnt how to adapt my technique to drive the car smoothly, but sometimes she just catches you off guard! :oops:

I have heard that the Custom Code chip helps smooth out the power delivery, might be worth investigating if you have the cash?
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

I find the problem is with the clutch. I have to rev it more than any other car I drive when setting off from the lights, otherwise it feels boggy. The clutch is heavy in most of the gtis i believe, i will get a sachs one when the current clutch dies.

I do get used to the driving style, just give it more revs in 1st. If im in neutral and i slowly rev the engine up the range it is smooth there.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

I ususally pull off at about 2000 or just under. Although I don't shoot off.
moynas
Silver Member

Post by moynas »

Ant If your worried about it mate next time your going through colchester, you can come see mine and compare it! mine is far from standard but it runs very nice!! plus i have contacts at lindvale vw who will check/do anything you want FOR CHEAP!!

The car really doesnt like drivin around at low revs needs an etc 500 compared to other models! suppose its how the intended it to be a very rev happy engine!
Ant_43
Bronze Member

Post by Ant_43 »

thanks moynas! i mite take you up on that offer mate and would be good to compare it to another gti, even tho yours isn't standard. must be handy having contacts at lindvale, i'm thinkin at some time of putting coilovers on, (once i get the money), so would be good!

i'm thinking of swapping the t and i over= polo git
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

Ive heard something about a dirty throttle body is what causes it to be jumpy at low revs?
CalvinGTI
Sponsor

Post by CalvinGTI »

might be an idea PhilGti, although it seems from a previous post, 99% of people all suffer from this 'problem' (if you can call it that).

Mines the same, likes to kangaroo a bit in first gear if u dont give it enuff revs. . .you get used to it though. . although u really do notice it when u get in another car.

Cal
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Are they photoshops in your sig Phil? Or have you got them done now?
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

Photoshops dude, collecting it next thursday!
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

is it an easy job to clean out the throttle body?

If so what needs doing? I assume removal of air filter etc?