how do you get the indicator lights to stay on, (usa style)

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

how do you get the indicator lights to stay on, (usa style)

Post by tupac2makaveli71 »

as the title says, ne help please!?
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Not sure how, but you could wire them in to your sidelights?
Buzby
Sponsor

Post by Buzby »

Dont think it would be legal to do that with your indicators. In the USA they are called daytime running lamps. I think hella do some, id have a look on their website. :)
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

thanks, not legal, but way cool, and different! never seen that before!!!
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

i know a friend of mine with a mk2 jetta GTI, he has some extra bulbs in his indicators which must be wired into the sidelights. that looks pritty cool!

just my 2p! :P
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

ohhh yeaahh, that makes sense, that sounds like a GREAT idea :>:>:> i might have to try that
ximon
New

running lights

Post by ximon »

you could run a few volts less than 12v from a regulator to the indicators which would make them illuminate dimmly, just use diodes so ur indicators dont turn into hazard lights lol :P
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

wel i laqourd and painted my front indicators black today, so im going to need bright indicators as i think i used too much black paint, looks great though
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

Moved to Electrical section as it this thread isn't so much of a DIY guide!. :wink:
MR_TOAD
New

Re: how do you get the indicator lights to stay on, (usa sty

Post by MR_TOAD »

tupac2makaveli71 wrote:as the title says, ne help please!?
Sounds like your a puller for the cops

might look nice but not standard good luck
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

you sound lyk a fed :^) lol, erm it must be legal because the new 350z has that on its front lights :^) it has 4 led bulbs that stay on with the side light so i dont think it can be illegal if it comes as standerd on a uk car
ximon
New

Post by ximon »

for those of u that are interested, here is a diagram of adjustable running lights
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

DAMN i wish i could understand that :roll:
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

for those of u that are interested, here is a diagram of my prototype space battle cruiser
FIXED :lol:

i dunno, maybe there's some kind of replacement flasher relay you could get that is normally closed instead of normally open like standard ones? the american style lights still flash when you move the stalk after all, its just that they blink out instead of turning on.

i think it's legal, i haven't seen any law against it, and i've certainly seen a couple american imports cruising about with such things. however it seems less a style statement, more a money saving gig for the manufacturers - they can do away with seperate front sidelights (using a yellow, rather than orange or white light) and the rear indicators (not even including an orange filter panel, just red)... the UK versions of some models supplied like this e.g. Volvos, have fully seperate (and therefore a couple quid pricier) sidelights that stay constantly lit rather than confusing people as to what the indicators are doing.

the police may still not like you for it and find reasons to pull you though. one troublesome thing with it is that typically when the flasher relay fuses out on a european car, the light will still come on (but not flash) when you activate the indicator... of course that won't work for the yank style, it'll either just break the circuit, or do nothing at all!

as regards the 350Z, i can't comment, but it was always intended as a thing to be marketed near exclusively to the american market, so it's not surprising. wouldnt be surprised if it's that way over here because of an oversight in the design dept, or theyve integrated it in a more sophisticated way than previously
ximon
New

re: diagram

Post by ximon »

aaah lol ive only just realised what you guys are after, the diagram above provide a small voltage to the lights which keeps the indicators half on when your side lights are on, it looks like your after indicators which are on normally and off when flashing, this is what your after ( the12volt style )

the main indicator supply wires are the wires from pins 3 and 7 from the indicator switch itself
Last edited by ximon on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.