Corrosion/Oxidisation - Alloys

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
PoloGTi
Silver Member

Corrosion/Oxidisation - Alloys

Post by PoloGTi »

Has anybody else experienced some kind of corrosion/oxidisation on the outer rim of their GTi BBS alloys?

When I was looking at a few cars for sale, I came across one with bad corrosion/oxidisation on one of the wheels and now it has started to appear on my wheels :( Is it just me?

If anybody has, how do you get rid of it? - Costs?

Cheers
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

It happens when road salt and other rubbish gets in the gaps of your wheels, one of the draw backs of split rims.

you can get the wheels refurbished, but i'm not sure how much this would cost
Blk6N
New

Post by Blk6N »

I know 2 people who have these cars. My mother (LOL) & a guy I work with. Both are silvers cars and are around 2000 reg year. Andy bought his car as an ex-demo model when it was 6 months old. He is very fussy (almost as much as me) about the appearance of his car and tried to keep these wheels looking like new. Despite all of his efforts the outer lips still got "white spiders" underneath them and 1 wheel started to bubble around the bolts.
My mothers wheels - don't even ask! LOL

If you are brave you could attempt to do this yourself. Andy has upgraded his wheels to 16" versions (the ones found on Avantgarde Golf Cabrio IIRC). These were refurbed before he bought them and they look great! The outer lips are unlacquered and very shiny. I believe they were wetsanded with very fine paper then buffed up with Autosol 8)
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

I think that's exactly the problem;

They're polished (somewhat) and then laquered. If there's no laquer, there's no white spiders and cracking of the finish.

The R10s I have are prone to this problem too, as are loads of other similar finished wheels.

:roll:

Bummer.
MYpoloGti
Getting There!

Post by MYpoloGti »

i had that problem on all 4 of my bbs rims , why i got a som new ones :D
live2themaxuk
Bronze Member

Yeah Yeah yeah

Post by live2themaxuk »

Yeah i had same problem, complained to dealer. 4 new ones under warrenty :P i suggest u do the same. VVVVV common problem
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

I have had 2 replaced under warranty for this problem.

Unfortunately my warranty has now run out, that's why I'm desperate to swap my wheels before they start "gritting" (salting) the roads.
PoloGTi
Silver Member

Post by PoloGTi »

Unfortunately warrenty ran out in July, I'll just have to try and keep them clean and eventually get them refurbished!

DOH!
Tom
New

alloys

Post by Tom »

when i went to see my gti for the first time, there was oxidization on all 4 alloys, the salesman told me that it was due to the previous owner using an acid based cleaner to clean them with (i got them replaced however). Don't know what products you have been using to clean them with, but could that be the problem?
live2themaxuk
Bronze Member

Post by live2themaxuk »

*cough* bol-locks *cough*
Blk6N
New

Post by Blk6N »

EDIT: My Bad

What happens to the wheels the dealers take back :twisted:
Last edited by Blk6N on Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

I think he means the acid based cleaner was responsibe for corroding his alloys
simrich
New

Post by simrich »

Josh and all,

I am a little concerned about the corrosion of my BBS alloys over the winter months too. All 4 were refurbished when purchased car but 1 had started to bubble slightly on a spoke (was like this when purchased car so let salesman know that i may be pestering him soon!) and one has just started to show peeling on the outer rim (only had car 3/4 months!). What with all the salt, etc. on the roads now, i am a bit concerned this will get worse. Car is still under the 1 year used car warranty they offer so am i able to get the affected alloys replaced/refurbished under this? I know you guys have had yours replaced, was this straight forward to sort out with them?

Cheers,
Simon
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Keeping them on in wintertime is a sure enough way to let them corrode. Even if you intend on getting them refurb'd (again?) then you might as well get some winter wheels in the meantime. My wheels started to peel slightly too, and I have no garantee (sp?) at all - so they're off for the season.

:)
blackgti
Bronze Member

Post by blackgti »

Hey all,

I've got the same problem too. All four alloys are corroding and I can't get it replaced under my warrenty as the previous owner couldn't drive. :evil:

But I have phoned around and Wicked Wheels Say they can't refurbish them, and another company said it would cost £60 per wheel and an extra £15 pounds if there split rims.

Oh well :cry: