Subs rattling the plastic rear window surround

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
poloscunny
New

Subs rattling the plastic rear window surround

Post by poloscunny »

Hi guys....
i have 2 rockford fosgate subs in boot of my mk2 polo squareback. They sound awsum, however, the black plastic rear window surround rattles like a mother f***** and it sounds rubbish. Not sure if its a kind of spoiler or just a surround. Shall i take it off? Dont really want to but the rattling is ruining the sound, is there anyway i could take it off and put it back on using some other kind of attachment. Anything to stop the awfull rattle.

HELP

Nick
WildChild
Silver Member

Post by WildChild »

lol two subs in the boot of an MK2 ... nice :roll:

You just need to secure it better, or limit it to one sub, as the boot doesnt have a big enough air volume to use two subs properly..
Polo Paul
Silver Member

Post by Polo Paul »

refit the spoiler with marterial pads between it and the paint. i think its screwed in at some points but not 100%. Again maybe loose a sub?
dayve
New

Post by dayve »

hiya mate! the spoiler/surround is held in with barbed plugs, on almost every breadvan they come loose and tend to rattle as a little bit of space has been made betweenthem and the paint. I Suggest either industrial sticky pads or taking it off being original and smoothing down the holes and gaps!!

p.s let's see some pics of your subs in your boot!!
polokris
Silver Member

Post by polokris »

i have 2 subs in the boot of the polo... lol... have had them for years now!! HAHA!! sound MINT... but thats the problem i had...

i used THICK spongey stuff... about 5-6mm thick, and sticky one side... and pressed the spoiler/surround back on and PRESTO....

but then the numberplate rattled! :twisted: HAHAHAHA!

SOOOO...

i got velcro plates now! haha..

now all i got is the bloody roof going for it! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

never ending ralltes in a MK2 mate... and thats with out subs! HEHE!
poloscunny
New

Post by poloscunny »

Many thanx for the help guys, will refit the spoiler using the recommended equipment. I'm surprised that the spoiler hasn't fallen off yet. I have a front component set waiting to be fitted in the front, however, i have no idea where to fit them, would it be best to cut away half the door pocket and build a pod?

Would post some piccys up but i have bust my digital camera and i go to tenerife in 6 weeks so my holiday is too close to invest in another one. But will try and sort something out.

All the best
Nick
dayve
New

Post by dayve »

yea i have just got a kicker amp and sub to go in the spare wheel well!! but i sound proofed the boot to avoid rattling....also components in the front can only go into a pod! i've thought of everything but the only sensible idea is to cut the pocket in half and construct a pod!! let me know how yours goes and il post some pics of mine!!! i got the new alpine head-set cost a bit but is absolutely phenomenal!!!!

Good-luck buddy
poloscunny
New

Post by poloscunny »

Thanx for the help guys, went to homebase and bought a set of 48 all weather doublesided sticky pads, took the surround off and lathered the bootlid with the pads. replaced the surround, cranked the volume and no rattle - apart from the roof pmsl.

Thanx

Nick
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

Post by tupac2makaveli71 »

i had 4 12' subs in my squareback. imagine how much that rattled lol!!! alarms going off everywhere, fear my window is going to break, people stareing, dont you just love it :lol: so you might as well fill everyone in on how that surround came of, and as for boot space volume, since when does that affect a sub, as long as its in a ported or sealed box with the correct volume, it only needs a little bit of room to work, it doesnt matter about the boot matters about the box.... :roll:
poloscunny
New

Post by poloscunny »

Gotta agree with tupac there, when u use a sealed box the only air that really moves is inside the enclosure. I have a much better bass now that there is two, the car just seems to vibrate with waves of bass. Love it!
Right, the surround was fairly easy really, just got a flat blade screwdriver and carefully prised the blade inbetween the surround and bootlid just where the poppers are and carefully popped them off one by one. The surround is held on by barbed poppers, i put roughly 36 sticky pads on doubled up. Then replaced the surround pressing firmly on the areas i put the pads.

The pads are called "sellotape outdoor sticky fixers", no they arent sellotape, they are made of foam! They are for all weather use and water resistant, cost £1.99 for 48 pads from Homebase should anyone want them.

Nick
polokris
Silver Member

Post by polokris »

got to dissagree with you there..... DONT use a screwdriver to prise off the surround....

IF you have to use one, put cloth onto the end of it..... dont want to scatch the paint work..................

or this mite just be me being fussy!! :P

glad u sorted it... and welcom to the roof rattling club!!! :wink:
poloscunny
New

Post by poloscunny »

Lol, thanx, wat i meant was, there was a few millemetres of a gap inbetween the the surround and the bootlid, and i gently prised it out with no damage at all. Lol i was very carefull, i have a very steady hand.

Nick