ahhhh, feck (fixed!)

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Si_GTi

ahhhh, feck (fixed!)

Post by Si_GTi »

Not what you want to see when cleaning the car (blacking the tyres to be precise)...

Looks like I'll be shelling out for a pair of new tyres on Monday morning! :(
Last edited by Si_GTi on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Its a right pain in the arse when that happens about. 2 weeks after i put my wheels and tires on I was cleaning and found part of a pop-rivet embeded in my tire. NOT HAPPY! :evil:
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

bugger mate!!!
glad i'm getting new wheels coz my old tyres on the seat alloys are worn and have loadsa stuff in them like nails and stones!
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I'm a bit gutted 'cos those are the rear tyres and they've got ~5mm tread left on them, would have lasted until next year were it not for this! Probably not that safe to drive about with that nail in there though I suppose :?

When I checked the pressures after finding the nail, that tyre was doen by 0.7bar :(

Makes me wonder though, how do you know about this sort of thing if you own a lowered car? I spotted this 'cos I've got arch gaps :lol:
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Get them fixed mate, don't shell out for a couple of new ones.

Is there something in both of them then?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I was under the impression that (a) a nail in the tyre is pretty terminal for the rubber :? and that (b) when replacing tyres on an axle, both should be replaced at the same time (highway code or some such nonsense). I've been trying to locate the thread that mentioned this (on another forum), 56 pages of scanning the post titles and no luck :roll:

Going to go and see Autotyres (the place that supply my tyres) Monday morning and see if they can sort something out, be it a repair or a new set of rubber...

Thanks guys
fink
Getting There!

Post by fink »

Got one of my Eagle F1's repaired when a nail simular to the one in your pic went in it....had my credit card in hand ready to shell out for a pair of new ones when the Tyre man came in and said he'd repaired it...I nearly fell over...not too many times you get pleasently suprised in a garrage..he he
ICEYPOLO
Silver Member

Post by ICEYPOLO »

as long as it not in the sidewall then they can patch it, have had this done a number of times... only a tenner too!

very suprised if they cant fix that mate!

scott
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

i had a puncture too recently, nice screw in the centre of the tyre, they couldnt patch it thought cos the sidewall of the tyre crumbled when they removed it
DubGTI
Bronze Member

Post by DubGTI »

There are limits to the area you can repair on different size tyres, i know this because E-tyres gave me these cardboard repair chart thingys.

And with the price of a brand new 195/45/15 Toyo Proxy T1-S being around £40 from rochford tyres, it may not even be worth the repair cost.

you dont have to replace both tyres at the same time, but it is best to.
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Happened to me a few weeks ago, thankfully a few days before my new wheels and tyres came
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Finally found a few spare moments to pop into Autotyres today and the guys there were uber-helpful, had the wheel off in a jiffy and the tyre on the bench, it has now been repaired and put back on for the princely sum of just under £9 :D

Spot on Scott, thanks everyone for your advice :wink:
DubGTI
Bronze Member

Post by DubGTI »

Thats way cheaper than i thought it would be.
M6TT F
Bronze Member

Post by M6TT F »

kwik fit fix punctures for nowt