GTI Overheating

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
marc
New

GTI Overheating

Post by marc »

I've recently noticed that when at stand still in traffic the car tempretuure gauge starts to rise above 90 which in the past would never even go a fraction past this. It over heated so much that I had to pull over and wait for the car to cool down, It looks as though the main fan is not cutting in. Having done more testing it seems as though it does this intermittantly and when the fan cuts in it makes a quite loud droneing kind of sound does anyone elses car make this noise when the fan kicks in.
J-O
Bronze Member

Post by J-O »

well maybe it's the thermostat (don't know if it's the correct word in english :? )...actually, the part in the tube between the motor and the fan...that determine at what temp the fan is suppose to go on...

check if there is water in the tube going in and out of the fan...

I had this problem with my girlfriend's car...a '88 Nissan :lol: :lol: and, I just changed the part and it was ok...

if it's the first time it does that, it can also be some little beast having damage something under the hood
Ams
New

Post by Ams »

i had the same prob! The prob was my fan cut out! had to get a new fan put in
blackgti
Bronze Member

Post by blackgti »

I had this problem too, when my clutch was replaced VW tripped up yet again and didn't route the fan wires in the right place. They left it lose, so when the fan is on it cuts through its self making it sever the power to it. Then it over heats. I got a big sorry for this routine but they fixed it. So check the fans wires just ensure that this isnt the problem.

Hope this helps :)
marc
New

Post by marc »

Right, I got the verdict from volkswagen about the car over heating. In turns out the water pump is knackered which they had to replace. On fixing this they noticed that the main cooling fan wasn't spinning as fast as it should so they had to replace this aswell. I've had quite major things go wrong with this car since I had it, I'm really starting to lose faith in the reliabilty of volkswagen cars. I just hope it settles down and starts to behave itself. My warranty runs out this month but it looks like I'll be taking an extended warranty as I just dont trust the realiabilty of the car yet. Any one else take out an extended warranty. If so how much did it cost for a year.
blackgti
Bronze Member

Post by blackgti »

Well thats a first, my GTi has been good since the clutch problem last year but yeah haven't had any problems with it since. So hopefully you shouldn't have a problem with it now. :)
marc
New

Post by marc »

Well fingers crossed. Its a shame because when I drive it I love it, its just that the bad times are starting to out weigh the good ones. Only had it 3 Months yeh see.