Burning Oil

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Burning Oil

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

VW state that the MK6 Polo can burn anything upto 1 litre every 1,000miles. I thought that they probably just say that to cover their backs, but after 5,000 miles from being serviced, I found my dipstick showing that my oil level was below the section 'oil must be topped up'.

Having spoken to my dealer to find out the exact oil I used, I bought a litre of Castrol SLX longlife III 504.00 oil from them to get it back in the safe level, but its still probably needs another 250ml to get it completely full.

Does this sound normal and do you guy's have to also top up regularly too?
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

My oil light comes on about every 1000-1500 miles. But diesel's do burn a lot of oil anyway
xx_loopy_xx
Silver Member

Post by xx_loopy_xx »

Nah mine is the same, and mine is a petrol... I was worried the first few times that it happened... got used to it now tho..
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Yeah i just carry round a bottle of oil in the boot along with the rest of the crap i carry lol
GaryUK
Gold Member

Post by GaryUK »

My FSI has hardly used a drop in between services and I've never had to top it up. :o
M7
Gold Member

Post by M7 »

my 1.2 barely uses any oil!! i always check it expecting it to be down, but it isn't
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Mines the 1.4 16v. I'm a little worried about it being that much consumption in a Petrol. According to the dipstick it was below the fill up line. But no dash light came on either?!? Nothing leaking anywhere, I've had a good look. It has now funily enough worked its way up to the top and is pretty much to the max now.

I also have coolant consumption too. Mine sitting just a little below min at the moment. :roll:

Though I was speaking to my mate who owns a Audi A3 1.8T, and he says his does both of these too. Guess it may just be a VAG thing :lol:
Buzby
Sponsor

Post by Buzby »

A mate of mine had a fabia with the same 1.4 16v engine with 22000miles on it.
It used oil (probably a little more than yourself), this triggered the check engine light. He took it to the dealers, and it turned out to be the piston rings, which he finally got them to replace f.o.c.

My 1.9tdi has used about 1/2ltr in 5000 miles as a guide with 27000 on the clock.
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Having spoken to VW they are quite adamant that its normal as they believe it's still within the normal consumption levels.

I have recently done alot of long distance journeys/motorway journeys so not sure if this affects it, but I think ill just keep an eye on it for now and see how things go.

Thanks for the help!
Harald73
New

Post by Harald73 »

My 1.4 16V actually started burning oil after the first service at 27500km and now just waiting for the oil light to turn on all the time ;-)

Drove about 950km trip last sommer and part of it I drove really fast (about 150-180km/h thanks to one persistent MB driver) and I thought that was the reason for the unusual oil consumption but not sure?!?!?

1 litre/1000km is acceptable they say around here but it seems way too much.
alpolo
New

Post by alpolo »

my 1.2 for the first few months of driving used a lot of oil so for a while i was having to top the oil up..my cars running smoothly now so fingers crossed.
Goosey
New

Post by Goosey »

my 1.4 TDI's the same as Dino's, the oil light comes on every 1000 - 1500 miles. Have heard the 1.4 TDI uses more oil than the 1.9 TDI.
alanred
Getting There!

Post by alanred »

My 1.2 hasn't needed the oil topping up at all in between services, although the coolant is looking like it's due for a top up now.