changing the leds in the 3rd brake light

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
matty2767
Getting There!

changing the leds in the 3rd brake light

Post by matty2767 »

can anyone point me in the right direction for getting out the old leds on the non-spoiler version?. i have looked in the haynes manual but they just dont seem to come out easily. do i need to be more forceful? i dont want to break anything.

thanks

matt
jonnopolo
Bronze Member

Post by jonnopolo »

You can't get seperate LEDs for the high level brakelight, you have to change the complete unit & it's very fiddly to do as you probably gathered fron the Haynes manual.
matty2767
Getting There!

Post by matty2767 »

tell me about it. i carnt even get the old unit off :)

i dont know if it is years of dirt that is holding it on or just me not doing something. but it is well stuck. MOT is next month and i assume it will fail unless i fix it.
jonnopolo
Bronze Member

Post by jonnopolo »

I'm not sure if it is a MOT failure; as long as the other brake lights are OK
I think it will pass. Perhaps someone more knowledgable on MOT's will put us right on this.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Can't see that they'll fail it for that, as jonnopolo said as long as the other 2 are working you should be fine.
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

It will fail the MOT if the high level brake light is not working when it should be.

That's from the VOSA website.
jonnopolo
Bronze Member

Post by jonnopolo »

Redline wrote:It will fail the MOT if the high level brake light is not working when it should be.

That's from the VOSA website.
Thanks for that Redline - I knew someone would come up with a definitive answer. That's quite a surprise though; I'll make sure I remember that if ever mine goes!
matty2767
Getting There!

Post by matty2767 »

can any one do me a real favour?. just look at the text in the manual and see how you think i should be taking this off. or tell me how you got yours off. i just want to eliminate the fact that i might be reading this wrong as it just doesnt want to come off. my other option is to buy the light unit from vagparts and take it to the garage i have the service done at and get them to do it.

thanks in advance

matt
jonnopolo
Bronze Member

Post by jonnopolo »

matty2767 wrote:can any one do me a real favour?. just look at the text in the manual and see how you think i should be taking this off. or tell me how you got yours off. i just want to eliminate the fact that i might be reading this wrong as it just doesnt want to come off. my other option is to buy the light unit from vagparts and take it to the garage i have the service done at and get them to do it.

thanks in advance

matt
Hi again Matt; according to the manual, once you've removed the 2 rubber grommets at the top of the tailgate, there should be 2 plastic catches which you push down and towards you (at the same time), using a screwdriver. It does say it's a fiddly job, so I can understand your frustration trying to get it off. Good luck mate; keep us posted as to how you get on.
matty2767
Getting There!

Post by matty2767 »

thats what i read i found the rubber grommets when you lift the boot lid. underneath are two plastic things with grooves in them but (and this is where i wondered if i was going wrong) they seem to be too far away from the led unit. i will have another go and be a bit rougher. if i dont have any luck i will take a picture. thanks for the reply

matt
matty2767
Getting There!

Post by matty2767 »

bug ger. i feel such an idiot. it is off now and really easy as well. now i know i can do it i will order from vagparts. i was pushing down (ie towards the car) and then trying to lift it towards me. which when thinking about it is exactly the opposite of what i was supposed to do. hey ho you live an learn.
jonnopolo
Bronze Member

Post by jonnopolo »

Glad you got it sorted Matt. :D