Advice for cleaning, polishing, what ever my 9n

Detailing & Bodywork
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Advice for cleaning, polishing, what ever my 9n

Post by SiDaBa »

My Polo is a year old now and all i've ever used on it is halfords car shampoo to wash it and then just use a shammy to dry it off. Now can anyone give me advice on waxing, polishing etc?? Recommend me some stuff to try on it?? Please? :D
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Three most important things for cleaning your car?

1) Time - I spend 3 hours a week cleaning my 9n Polo and thats only a wash and leather.
2) Effort - no pleasure without pain etc etc
3) Good products - This doesn't have to mean expensive. I usually use Audi car cleaning products which amount to no more than £25 and last 6 months. Also, don't forget to use a good quatily synthetic leather or most of your cleaning will be wasted. If you do get water spots you can buy spray-on wax finisher from Zymol which works a treat.

These are the three rules I stick to and this is how my car usually ends up like this after the usual weekend clean...

:D
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

What are in the Audi cleaning products?? Should i be waxing my car yet :? i dunno what i'm supposed to be doing :cry:
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

I was waxing my car the first week i got it! :lol:

I think any car should be cleaned at least once a week and ALWAYS use proper car cleaning products (NOT fairy liquid). I once knew of someone who cleaned his brand new car with furniture polish :shock: He won't be doing that again in a hurry...

Audi cleaning products are basically the same as the VW range (made by Quantum). Just put in different bottles. Good thing is that even from an Audi dealer they aren't that expensive!

I could spend all day explaining the best ways to clean certain parts of your car. But the only way to learn is to do it yourself! :wink: :P 'You learn from your own mistakes' etc etc :)
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Here is my proper routine... I've pulled it out of an old post of mine for your enjoyment!

:
Right, I'll tell you my FULL routine (which I'm going to do tomorrow!)

* WAKE UP AND APPLY OLD CLOTHING, EAT SOME WHEATABIX

EXTERIOR:
* Wash with Zymol Clear and a decent sponge
* Clean the alloys with sponge and soap first, then Comma Acid and a horsehair brush
* Blade then Dry the car using a chamois
* DRINK SOME WATER
* If there are any REALLY stubborn tar/sap/fly spots, use Autoglym Intesive Tar Remover to remove them
* Clay with 3M Clay and soapy water spray (lube)
* DRINK SOME WATER
* Treat any major scratches to some 3M Perfect It III Rubbing Compound
* Go over the whole car (in sections - 1 at a time) with either 3M Imperial Hand Glaze or HD Clense then buff off
* DRINK SOME WATER
* Go over the whole car (in sections - 1 at a time) with Zymol Titanium then buff off.
* DRINK SOME WATER
* Clean the windows (external) with Autoglym Window Polish
* Apply Rain Wizard to all the external glass.
* 4 hours after applying the wax and buffing off, buff again after very lightly misting with clean water

* DRINK SOME WATER, HAVE SOME LUNCH AND GO FOR A SIT DOWN!

INTERIOR:
* Dyson the interior
* Use Autoglym Hi-Foam Interior Shampoo on the seats and any spots on the celing
* DRINK SOME WATER
* Use Zymol Vinyl on the dash, door cards, etc etc...
Use a very slightly damp kitchen towel (bounty) on the windows inside then finish with a soft terry towel.
* Spray some Autoglym Interior Freshener Stuff on the seats and carpet (not too much)

* Use Turtle Wax Extreme Tyre Gell on the tyres

* DRINK SOME WATER THEN GO TO BED!

Easy huh? Should "only" take about 6-8 hours!