Si_GTi's winter progress thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Si_GTi

Si_GTi's winter progress thread

Post by Si_GTi »

Well over the next two to three months or so there are going to be some pretty dramatic changes to the little olop so I'm going to fire up a progress thread :P

First of all, the plans:
* FK coilovers to be fitted and set up
* winter wheels to be refurbed and fitted
* interior grab handles to get replaced with new ones
* replacement CD changer unit (dash mounted)
* new interior rear-view mirror
* replacement (Philips) sidelight and main-beam bulbs
* OMP front upper and lower strut braces
* tinted OEM rear lights

I think that is about it at the moment!

First job is the coilovers, some of you will have read my other thread on tracking and camber and will know that this is happening on December 2nd. Not only are the coilovers going on but also new top mounts all round and H&R camber-adjustable bolts too!

More news as and when it happens :D

Cheers
Last edited by Si_GTi on Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

cool mate, looking forward to this!! which FKs did u go for?
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Re: Si_GTi's winter progress thread

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Si_GTi wrote: * interior grab handles to get replaced with new (customised) ones
Care to expand on this Si, PM me if you like.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

DanDiesel wrote:cool mate, looking forward to this!! which FKs did u go for?
The stainless version of your coilovers, FK Konigsports :wink:
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

My coilovers are on hold at the moment. Wish I had more time for my car :(
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Nice Si, will look forward to it!
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

Si_GTi wrote: * new interior rear-view mirror
Good stuff Si.

I assume you are fitting a black rear view mirror? I've had one for a while, but I'll be honest and say i'm afraid of damaging the windscreen when removing/refitting. I need to pay a local windscreen fitting place a visit when I find time.

I assume you are spraying the interior door handles like Scott did and as you mentioned on VAGparts thread?

As said in the MKV thread, I think as it is such hassle to change the sidelights and main beam bulbs, I would seriously consider buying LED's instead of those blue visions. Nothing else will get close to the xenon light output. Even the blue vision's look yellow against them (see pic below). If you are changing them yourself, I hope you find my guide useful (PM if you get stuck).

Good luck with the changes.

Marc.
D-Dub
Bronze Member

Post by D-Dub »

mk4 glx 1.6 wrote:
Si_GTi wrote: * new interior rear-view mirror
Good stuff Si.

I assume you are fitting a black rear view mirror? I've had one for a while, but I'll be honest and say i'm afraid of damaging the windscreen when removing/refitting. I need to pay a local windscreen fitting place a visit when I find time.

I assume you are spraying the interior door handles like Scott did and as you mentioned on VAGparts thread?

As said in the MKV thread, I think as it is such hassle to change the sidelights and main beam bulbs, I would seriously consider buying LED's instead of those blue visions. Nothing else will get close to the xenon light output. Even the blue vision's look yellow against them (see pic below). If you are changing them yourself, I hope you find my guide useful (PM if you get stuck).

Good luck with the changes.

Marc.
Damn i was thinking of getting philips blue vision sidelights, main beam and fog light bulbs. Have you got any night shots of them? Are Osram any better? Cheers. (Sorry to highjack your thread Si) :D

As for the interior mirror, i fitted a 9n black one with anti-dazzle. Looks much better!
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

Si_GTi wrote:The stainless version of your coilovers, FK Konigsports :wink:
good choice matey, looking forward to seeing the little olop dropped sufficiently :D !!
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

Si_GTi wrote:First job is the coilovers.........this is happening on December 2nd
Hope all goes well with the fitting tommorrow Si. I'll be expecting lots of :D icons afterwards............
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Thanks dude. My last trip at standard height is tomorrow morning to Gnosall. I can't wait!! :D

You might see less of these :D and more of these :mrgreen: though :wink:
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Coilovers: best modification, EVER :mrgreen:

Its brilliant. No body roll in the corners, a heap more responsiveness, better looks, and just the improvement in what the car is like to drive is amazing!

At the moment the car is set fairly low at "60mm" (take that with a pinch of salt methinks) and the ride is set to it's softest setting. What I'm doing is, after each trip, tweaking the adjustment on the Koni dampers in order to get a suitable balance between comfort and handling. Its still a little too soft at the moment.

I am going to take some proper photographs tomorrow after a bit of a clean and tidy up, I visited my sister earlier and she used her husband's EOS 20D to snap a couple of images, they'll be e-mailed to me in due course. In the meantime here's what you get:

There is a little negative camber on the front to be sorted out - my H&R bolts finally arrived this morning, about an hour after I had left the house to go get it all fitted :roll: - and despite how it looks in the photographs the car is level, but the driveway it is parked on is not. Tomorrow's pics and those from the aforementioned EOS will clear this up (took some shots on level tarmac). The back of the car is approximately 8-10mm lower than the front based on the amount the coilovers have been wound down.

Bottom line is that yes, its an expensive job to undertake, but by golly is it worth it :D
polo power
Gold Member

Post by polo power »

looking good, cant wait to get mine
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Nice one Si! its about time isn't it lol :D

Looks really good, just wait till you get holes in your arch liners lol :cry:
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

Looks excellant mate, I'm sure mine didnt look that good when it was black. Don't touch the ride height, its spot on all round 8)