unbelievable?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

unbelievable?

Post by shantybeater »

Ok, I know how biased forums are to their car, but i'm telling no lies...went up to southampton on thursday to pick up my mates new wheels..a VTS, which is on paper well over a second faster (because its made of paper!)

On the way back he started giving it some stick and at the high end of the gears i stood no chance, he reached about 120 on the motorway and i bottled at around 115 but he was pulling away anyway...we then head down to an industrial estate to have a little 0-60, some fiesta drivers got an interesting watch..we both pulled up and he counted down and blatently did a false start, he had about a car length on me, then i hit around 4 thousand revs in first and i started catching up, got a good change into second and i ended up level and definately pulling ahead...sadly at that point we got to a parked truck and had to stop... I was speechless...my little polo had done me proud....i'm not saying the gti is faster but it can certainly give a vts a run for its money

Sadly on the way back i think i got caught on 2 speed cameras doing 40 in a 30...so it maybe byebye license anyway :(

Anyone know much about those new truvelo cameras? and what distance they can catch you from?
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Racing isn't really cool, especially when you risk your license. I don't care if a VTS is quicker top end etc etc, I'm happy with my GTI
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

30 limit exists for a reason, so no sympathy on that one sorry.
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Did the camera flash? people say you cant see the flash but I've very clearly seen one flash in day light. There are sensors in the road about 5 meters in front of the camera that trigger them.
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

it was on a country road and on a dual carriage way so i have plenty of sympathy for myself, some cameras are put in places for a reason (in built up areas where a kid may run infront of a car etc..)...others are there for revenue reasons.....

The new truvelo's have infrared flashes and apparently can catch you up to 40 metres away e.g. 18 car lengths...so as soon as you see the thing in the distance its gameover..thats what im worried about, the other one was an old gatso..which i don't know if it flashed..couldn't believe it was even there...in the middle of nowhere
jezmk4
Silver Member

Post by jezmk4 »

You should tell your mate to get his Saxo fixed :wink:
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

neil i'd be careful as it was in southampton that i got stung. There are loads of truvelo ones popping up, i think i got caught on the one heading to west quay past bitten
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I met a Saxo VTS t'other night near town and he obviously spotted my lowered Polo behind him, as he took off like a scalded cat to try and get away! I managed to keep up until he turned off at the next island but would have had no chance of getting past if we'd had been out on the open road.
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

shantybeater wrote:neil i'd be careful as it was in southampton that i got stung. There are loads of truvelo ones popping up, i think i got caught on the one heading to west quay past bitten
Yeh I know theres loads of them about, I know the one in Bittern it horrible as it looks like the road should be a 50mph limit but its 30. There also some new ones just outside lesure world (Thats the one I saw go off)

If I come back from the town centre to my house I go past 4 Speed camers, and 3 red light camera.

I'm pretty clued up on where they all are, and i know where the mobile traps like to hide too. should be a problem as i don't speed anyway.