bass disappearing

Discuss In Car Entertainment
camone
New

bass disappearing

Post by camone »

Ive just fitted new speakers into my car but im having problems with bass. Ive got a sony head unit, when i play just the right or left channel on their own i get amazing bass but when i balance them in the middle the bass fades away, i tryed putting the signal through my amp but its stil the same. I think my head unit reduces the bass when balanced between left and right to take the strain off the speakers, but is there a way to stop it doing this?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Sounds to me the signal from the left and the right speakers cancel eachother out, try rewiring one of the speakers. So change the + and - terminals on one of them. Hope that works.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

speedlaw could be right* also try playing with the d-bass and if its only cutting out at high volumes then try a bigger battery/ power cap and check all the connections on the back of the head unit especially the +ve permanant

*the reason for the speakers cancelling each other out when in a certain phase is: there is one speaker on the left and one on the right. so if the one on the left moves inwards and the right pushed outwards at the same time then the displaced air from the left is absorbed by the movement of the right speaker. this can cause the bass to cancel out. so if you change the wireing to the inverse of what it is now (reverse phase) then bothe speakers move in oposite directions (out of phase) so that as the left moves inward so does the right and this effectivly doubles the amout of air moved/ compression caused by the speakers, you can see this arangement on big installs when one sub is mounted back to front with the basket pointing out (sometimes its for looks though)
when i say inwards and outwards in this thread i mean;
inwarts- towards the interior
outwards- towadrs the outside of the door

you might also want to check the wireing to the tweeters (inside the mirror) because if they are getting too much bass the capasitor on them cuts the low frequences out and if the speaker wireing is taken after the capasitor then the bass will be cut out. dont forget thatthe standard systems in our polos are only 20wrms (beta system) and most sony aftermarket hu`s are around the 40w output, this means that the tweeters tend to die rather quickly. ive seen one smoking on a mates clio oh so funny lol

class dismissed lol
any more q`s feel free to ask
camone
New

bass disappearing

Post by camone »

cheers guys, switched the pos n neg round and it worked a treat
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Sorry for not replying, Polo2k once again is spot on with his answer! (i'm beginning to think he invented the polo!)

For future reference, your wires are 'in phase', and the procedure is called 'phasing in' the speakers. the big ICE installers always do this on small SQ cars
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

invented nah shhhhhhhhh lol dont worry about it