single in dash cd player

Discuss In Car Entertainment
pettsy

single in dash cd player

Post by pettsy »

my mk5 polo's got a gamma head unit. i want to add the vw single dash cd player to it. vw want £225 for unit plus fitting :shock: are they easy to fit D.I.Y, and any ideas where i can find one cheap?

Cheers Pettsy
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Plug and play job. Remove your headunit (make sure you have the code) remove the small carpeted shelf located below the unit.

There should be a seperate plastic divider that slots in between the head unit and CD Player, make sure this is in place connect up your Cd Player and fix this in position, route the cables thru and connect to your headunit.

Turn on put in code BOSCH job done.

Let me know how it sounds as I'm gonna get one myself.

DON'T PAY VW TO FIT IT FOR YOU, they'll charge you for an hours labour when in reality it's a ten minute job.

Des
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

slight problem with the code tho.looking in the manual, i've got a booklet for a beta HU and code, but mine is gamma! can i get the code from anywhere on the car?
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Phone up the dealership where you bought the car from. Give them your reg number and they should be able to supply you with the code. May take a couple of days though.

Des
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

des_pd_ tdi wrote: There should be a seperate plastic divider that slots in between the head unit and CD Player, make sure this is in place connect up your Cd Player and fix this in position, route the cables thru and connect to your headunit.

Des
i was told i don't need this shelf? anyone,do i?
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

i didnt have the in dash cd but i imgine that if they fit into a cage like aftermarket hu`s then yes youll prolly need it so that the cages are seperated in the middle itherwise they might be loose and also its some support and remember that if a cd player moves then it might skip
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Polo2k's quite right, you do need this cage.

The cage will come with the single disc player, if it's not there ask why.
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

i think im just going to get one from vw.and let them fit it. i can't find any for sale in my area :cry:
Goz1
New

Post by Goz1 »

When I originally bought my mark 5 polo, it had the standard gamma radio. So I thought it would be nice to have the cd slave unit to match.
Anyway I bought one from the main dealers and they fitted it. However it's simply a case of plugging it in. Sooo expensive for what it is, as all the controls are on the rasio. Cost me £220 at the time. Kept it for 7 months and sold it about 6 months ago for £100. Now I've got an Alpine headunit, so much better. If I were you I'd upgrade your headunit so that it's all in one and you still have that handy compartment below the radio!!! :D Cora
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

changing to a single cd head unit is not really an option, as i share the car with my mum! and she wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it!

i don't want to pay vw £225, but otherwise it loks asthough i'd have to go without!
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Only prob with replacing the unit is you lose the factory finish and illumination. No other units I've seen sit flush in the dash like the VW Blaupunkt units.
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

My thoughts exactly des :)

You can get red/blue illuminated head units, but they stick out 4 foot from the dash.... And all the flush fit ones I've seen are green/yellow/pink/purple/orange.... ie. not red and blue! :D
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

on some head units you can change the illumination color permanently by changing the led`s even the stock one can be done i was thinking of keeping the stockie and changing half the led`s to red so it was multi colored
if your interested tell me what hu you want and ill see if it can be done
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Not in the market for ICE at the mo myself. Too many other things to do! I'll bear it in mind though. Cheers 2k.