Steering Quick Rack????

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
ticki
Sponsor

Steering Quick Rack????

Post by ticki »

Okay chaps, time to sort out steering on the GTi. Who's knows what about quick racks. Has any body fitted one? Where can I em? and how much?
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

Basically, for road use, don't.
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

I have a feeling the GTi has less turns lock to lock, compared to the normal Mk5 anyway.
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

Redline wrote:I have a feeling the GTi has less turns lock to lock, compared to the normal Mk5 anyway.
really! do you have any figures?
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

I don't have figures with me at the minute, but going off memory from the original Autocar road test I have a gut feeling it mentions quicker steering.
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

I had a mk4 polo a few years ago and it did seem a lot less responsive, ie. you had to turn the wheel more to get the wheels to turn.

I'd be surprised if anyone even makes a close rack for the polo, it's normally the sort of thing that only goes on rally/race cars.

The nearest you'll experience to short rack in a road car is in a Mini Cooper S (proper mini, not the BMW ones). A short rack is fun when you're doing city driving speeds, feels really responsive and you feel everything but when your doing 50mph+ it starts to get a bit hairy. Honda Integras also have a quite a short rack, fine machines that they are.
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

Yeah your right, maybe a quick rack would be overkill. Its just my Brothers 6N 1.4 16v steerings feels a litttle more positive.

My previous car a 2002 Punto Sporting, the steering was impressively direct. There are a couple of roundabouts which I could negotiate effortlessly. The GTi however requires a little more work :?
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

Rally Spec Polo = 2 turns lock to lock
Punto Sporting = 2.5 turns lock to lock
Polo Gti = 2.9 turns lock to lock
BMW Mini Cooper S = 2.5 turns lock to lock