cigerette lighter help

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
JoeG07
Gold Member

cigerette lighter help

Post by JoeG07 »

Dunno if any1 else has this problem, but on my polo, due to the cigerette lighter being directly in line with the gear stick, whenever i am using the sat nav and i put it into 3rd or 5th, it knocks the bugger out and turns off the sat nav, which is SO p*** IRRATATING when your at a junction and you knock it out and are like "ARGGH WHICH WAY NOW?!"

so anyways, is it possible to buy one of those cigerette lighter multi plugs and cut off the lighter input on the end and wire it straight into the back of my existing lighter? Or is there something in the socket like a transformer or whatever that means it can;t be wired straight in? Or can i wire my SATnav straight in if i cut off the end of that wire?
al_kaholik
New

Post by al_kaholik »

If you want to hard wire the sat nav, you are going to need a voltage stabiliser - check out linitx.com(.co.uk?) or the like for one. Your other option is to buy the fag lighter plug from Maplin and wire it directly to the battery, then use the standard charger for your sat nav. You'd obviously have to be crafty in finding a place for it to go. The multi plugs don't have a stabiliser in them the same as your standard fag lighter does, so couldn't be be hard wired.
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

I generally find somewhere to tuck a cigarette lighter multiadapter out of the way in my cars and piggyback it off the fag lighter.
chrisash32
Gold Member

Post by chrisash32 »

Get a 3/4 way multi adapter. (Halfords do a good one which even tells you your battery level)
Chop the plug off the end, (if there is enough wire, then get some of them handy wire grip plugs things so then you can just grip it onto the exisitng wires to the fag lighter behind the dash.

Hope that makes sence lol.

When i did mine i took the that came with the unit off completly as it was coiled. replaced it with some 2 core.

Chris
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

chrisash32 wrote:Get a 3/4 way multi adapter. (Halfords do a good one which even tells you your battery level)
Chop the plug off the end, (if there is enough wire, then get some of them handy wire grip plugs things so then you can just grip it onto the exisitng wires to the fag lighter behind the dash.
this is what i mean, can i buy a multi adaptor and simply cut off the plug that goed into the cigerette lighter and connect the wires to my existing lighter socket? heres a little diagram to establish wot im babblin on about:

chrisash32
Gold Member

Post by chrisash32 »

yep, thats all i did.
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

al_kaholik wrote:The multi plugs don't have a stabiliser in them the same as your standard fag lighter does, so couldn't be be hard wired.
so can it be done or not lol
chrisash32
Gold Member

Post by chrisash32 »

Personally i have never had an issue with this.
A quick look at the fag lighter in my car suggests there is nothing of the sort on it. May be different for other cars.
al_kaholik
New

Post by al_kaholik »

Most equipment will probably work fine, however some more sensitive equipment may not. Just my two pence.