Non-VW related chat - Moderated
dino
Sponsor

SatNav claims another victim

Post by dino »

dragon_green
Gold Member

Post by dragon_green »

I'm sorry, I know wales is a bit rural in places, but did it not click that you don't often open gates when you're on the road?

:roll:
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

I put my complete trust in the sat nav and it led me right into the path of a speeding train,
And whose own stupid fault is that then?

I swear the BBC gets more and more tabloid every day.
Bryony84
Sponsor

Post by Bryony84 »

Thats not really the satnavs fault! She said she opened a white gate with a red circle on which is what a rural train crossing looks like, and it doesn't sound there there was a green light so she shouldn't have opened the gate. Chances are she would have done exactly the same had she been driving without the satnav.
Buzby
Sponsor

Post by Buzby »

Unbeliveable .. :shock:

I dunno about anyone else but I turn the display off on my sat nav and go by the spoken instructions and if im not sure i pull over and have a look at the map..
GTILass
Sponsor

Post by GTILass »

would it not be common sense to open both gates and then shut them once you'd driven through?

dappy wench :roll:
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by mysteryboy »

GTILass wrote:would it not be common sense to open both gates and then shut them once you'd driven through?

dappy wench :roll:
Yup that would of being the wiser option.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sat nav is dodgy at times tho so you have to keep your eyes peeled making sure it's not asking you to do illegal turns etc
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

I put my complete trust in the sat nav and it led me right into the path of a speeding train
No, I think you stopped your car there using absolutely no common sense. At least she wasn't sat there reading a map instead! She's a law student too so you expect some intelligence.
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

SteveB wrote:She's a law student too so you expect some intelligence.
Having done a law degree, believe me that is no guarantee of intelligence or common sense.
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

Redline wrote:Having done a law degree, believe me that is no guarantee of intelligence or common sense.
Mmm ok, I haven't done any degree. Maybe I should. I wonder if there's a degree for Polos. hehe :) :D :oops:
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Some people are so stupid!!
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

How can she get away with blameing technology for her own stupidity?

She opens the gate, pulls up, gets out closes the gate and goes to open the gate on the other side. She knew full well she was parking on a bloody train track when she read the sign lol.

Surely youd just have the brains to open both gates drive then close wouldnt you?

Still i guess its not her fault. We should blame the parents for giving her bad genes :roll:
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

aghh dnt get me started on SATnav. i have a road angel its so retarded. The other week we went into London using it, got there no problem, but on attempting to go home, when ever i programmed the destination "data overload"
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Daft cow...

The light probably changed to red while she'd parked her car on the tracks.

She should have opened both gates, checked the light was still green, driven through, checked the lights again, walked across to close the other gate, had a look at the light again, crossed back over and closed the gate behind her.

Well, that's what I'd have done anyway.

I must admit, TomTom did take me a very wierd and wonderful route back from Porthmaddog last year, but it was an ace single-track road over the top of a mountaint (pretty much)... Wicked views and you could see for quite some way, so progress was fun :) I did get stuck behind two other cars after a while though, and yep, they both had TomTom's in their windows!

I might add that this was in the middle of summer... It would have been a different story if it'd tried to take me up there in the winter!
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

What a t*t. How can you not know you're parked on a railway?

Law student. Actively seeking someone to sue.