INTERIOR DIFFERENCES

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
dubbprince
Bronze Member

INTERIOR DIFFERENCES

Post by dubbprince »

right lads...i'm doing a GTI conversion into my mk4.

I'll be swapping the loom over inside the car to have the dash installed.

what i wanted to know was, which model do i need the door cards out of which are black with black cloth?

Also are the dashes accross all mk5 models the same?? I mean the GTI clocks have an actual analogue clock on them, so does the surround come out seperate or is it the dash itself that i need from the GTI?

Are all the wiring looms inside the dash the same in every mk5 inc the GTI, i.e someone with a 1ltr mk5 could fit a GTI engine loom and plug it into their fuse box without changing the inside car loom?

Your answers are very valuable! Cheers.Sanjay.
randy
Bronze Member

Re: INTERIOR DIFFERENCES

Post by randy »

Clocks are different. As is wiring loom.

When doing the conversion u need to strip out the interior... best to match up the wiring loom from the gti with your original wiring loom. Will be some wires spare from the loom bit this isnt a problem.

Yep GTI has an analogue clock, You need the GTI clocks and you will have to cut a hole in the dash for the analogue clock.

Get a GTI pedal box, although they are pretty s**t.... strengthen the pedal box before fitting. Dont be surprised if the pedal box snaps when you have done the conversion. Ive not got my car back from the gti conversion im getting done and the pedal box snapped on its first test run. Then the replacement pedal box i got snapped aswell... even after supporting the pedal box further.

Check the cam belt tensioner aswell. Obviously replace the timing belt but it is known for the cambelt tensioner to go on the gti.

And the problems with the gearbox? Hope you dont get any... ive not had any... YET.

GTI conversion will cost u a fair bit, plus you might not have your car for a while. Im getting a mechanic to do it part time..... 5 weeks and still no car due to all the problems!!
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

I'm in the middle of doing a GTI conversion! Engine is in....i'm just doin the electrics! And what an absolute bastard it is!! We stayed with the original loom, but wish we had changed it now!

Did you use the GTI's electronic loom?
randy
Bronze Member

Post by randy »

Electronic loom? Take it this is just the same as the normal GTI loom i got with the engine... yeah the gti loom was used.

Im gettin really annoyed its taking so long... i just hope you dont have the same problems i have had with the mechanical side.

Cambelt tensioner was f****d as the timing belt was jammed! Pedal box snapping... something else my mechanic was telling me. Im glad im just giving give some cash and getting him to do it. Ive not had my car for 5 weeks :(

What electrical problems are you having?
polo power
Gold Member

Post by polo power »

the model is the 6n2 gti
dubbprince
Bronze Member

Post by dubbprince »

right guys cheers for your replies...

My mk4 is completely stripped out right now, it was due to have a 20vt conversion but didn't happen due to company problems...

So right now i have my car back home, i'll be doing this whole thing myself with the help of my best mate...so time isn't a problem.

I have the GTI engine, gearbox, all mounts, engine harness, key/transponder, clocks, pedal box and anything related to the engine's conversion itself.

What I don't have is the 6N2 GTI interior loom which would include the fusebox...so thats what i needed to find out, whether or not ALL mk5's have the same loom inside the car itself...

Also, i guess i'll just have to find a normal black mk5 dash and cut the hole out for the analogue clock.

I'll strengthen the pedal box, anyone know exactly where it needs welding? (pics would help)

ALSO- i'm not running the aircon pump, so whats the part number for the AUX belt i'd have to use?

Anyone know the part number for the water pump (tensioner) as well??

Which mk5 models have the black dash and black door cards??

Thanks. Sanj.
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

my cars model is the 16v and all the interior plastic is black and the seats and doorcards are all black
dubbprince
Bronze Member

Post by dubbprince »

cheers for that dude...i'll keep an eye out, my mate has a mk5 16v (74bhp) and his is like a dark grey...i hate it. would rather have a solid black.

BUMP for a reply on the above questions folks... :D
stani540
Gold Member

Post by stani540 »

as far a i know the only 6n2 that doesnt have the black doors cards is the gti where they have red bits and possibly the colour concept!
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

All 6n2 Dash's are the same!

There are different internal type stuff etc, but all the dashes are they same colour etc and same srtucture.

Anyways, dubbprince, you dont need to cut any holes....there is a specific cowling for the instrument panel of the mk5 GTI that has the hole for the anologue clock

Well the problems we are having have basically been brought on ourself by keeping the 1.4 8v loom....some of the connections are different, and theecu connectors are different, so we decide just to take the engine out again and put in the GTI loom, but we'll see if we can get it functioning with the 8v loom.
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

Belt you need is a 6 rib, 1070mm long. Genuine part no. 030 145 933 T

All 6n2 fusebox's are the same, and use a central electric box. There is a seperate wiring loom for the heater controls, and there is only two listed, one for models with air con, one without.

The dash loom itself however looks rather confusing. There's only 2 listed, but it does state that you should order one using the previous ones part number. All well and good but what if you have an interior fire? I believe the differance being if you have remote central locking.

I'd just try find any 6n2 dash complete with loom, as long as it has no air-con i'd say it would be fine, the engine loom and dash loom will definatly fit the fuse box so all should be fine.

Regarding the pedal box...
Clicky
dubbprince
Bronze Member

Post by dubbprince »

you guys have been a massive help thanks...

I'll look for a mk5 dash now with interior loom too, the GTI key I have has remote central locking, but i have a Toad Cat 1 which has the remote central locking anyway...so not bothered about that.

In regards to the GTI clock cowling, would anyone know the part no for that? I'll order it in from VW.

As for the pedal box, i'll get that welded asap...

I've placed an order for a 4-2-1 and will be sending off the ecu for the chip...

Today i'll order in the clutch, water pump and idler pulley...since everyone recommended i do this on here. :D

If You can recommend anything else, keep me informed...i'll most likely be spending more days on here than club polo due to the extent of mk5 drivers on here. :wink:
dubbprince
Bronze Member

Post by dubbprince »

I've handed the pedal box to a mate to have fully seam welded...

Bought an LUK clutch from GSF, also got the AUX belt which fits the engine without the aircon compressor installed.
as well as the tensioner to go with that belt.

Anyone have an idea if GSF does the waterpump with the metal impeller for this engine (code is ARC).

More to come...i'll get photos up of what i have to play with. 8)
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

Euro car parts do a water pump, was around £20 from memory. Make sure you buy a complete timing belt kit, inc tensioners, as these are more prone to breaking than a belt. Ensure you only use INA tensioners and a gates belt (these are oem). Your looking around £70-90 for the whole kit. Note there are two belts, two tensioners (i think!) and two idlers.
dubbprince
Bronze Member

Post by dubbprince »

cheers mate...

When people on here talk about the ticking noise, which tensioner pulley are they talking about?

also, i'll most likely be buying the stuff from GSF due to parts discount and them having it all on shelf...if the INA tensioners are prone to failing and causing the ticking, it might be worth me finding out how these others ones measure up...
I got a qoute on the kit and its £80 inc vat at gsf...

Just need a water pump and i'm sorted.

The stuff i'm swapping is mint as well! engine has only done 38k. :shock: