What fuel are you running in your beast?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
tegwin
Gold Member

What fuel are you running in your beast?

Post by tegwin »

What fuel are people using in their polo GTIs?...

I know the manual says you can use 95 or 98 RON.....Mine has been run on 95RON for the total 45,000 miles of its life and im wondering if its worth changing to the jungle juice...will I actually notice a performance improvment, or any other benefit for that matter?
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

I've always used Shell V-Power. Never used 95 ron so couldn't tell you if performance is better. I average 33/34 MPG or roughly 280/290 miles before my petrol light comes on
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

What RON number is shell V power?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I use BP Ultimate at every fill, apart from the odd occasion where I have been caught short, too far from the next BP (or Shell) station to fill the tank with premium fuel!

BP Ultimate is 97RON. Shell V-Power is 98/99RON?

Cheers
R.I.T.B
Getting There!

Post by R.I.T.B »

V-Power. 8)

I used 95 RON when I first got my GTi but the exhaust emissions light keep coming on cos' it didnt like it.
Bryony84
Sponsor

Post by Bryony84 »

I'm another v-power whore. Always fill up with it and have a drviers club card so I get points from buying it too. If I'm too far from a shell station I'll use bp ultimate if possible. Have had to use standard stuff a few times and the car didn't like it much.
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

I use V-power and 95 ron. I refuse to pay over one pound a litre, so if V-power is over that (which it has been recently), I purchase 95 ron.

It doesn't affect performance substantially, certainly not enough of a difference to warrant the price difference IMO.
thedees1
Sponsor

Post by thedees1 »

v power always
Steve W
New

Post by Steve W »

Hi there, my first post on this forum! :D
I too run Shell V-power in my GTI. When I first tried it, I didnt really think it was that much of an improvement in performance so went back to std 95RON. However it was then when I noticed the difference more; going back to the 95RON just seemed a bit slower/less responsive. I know for sure that I get much better fuel economy from the V-power, I've even had 370 miles from a tank (though I was sweating trying to find a petrol station at that point!). 95RON is OK from the top brands but personally, I always try and avoid Supermarket fuel.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Man i didn't even know it was a big deal!!! I always use average stuff. this V-power fuel the dogs Bs then?
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

I always use 95 ron standard unleaded. I've never noticed any difference by using the premium stuff, I think it's just a gimmick that petrol companies use to get people like us to spend more cash.

Maybe if I had a skyline or a race tuned scooby or something it may make a difference, but I think you're getting ripped off by paying for the 99 RON

:P
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Even if it's doesn't make a noticeable performance gain, it's healthier for your engine as it reduces the build up of deposits
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Is V-power much more expensive?
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

I think its about £1 a litre. People say optimax stuff gives better fuel economy, but when its costing an extra 10%, it's a false economy.

The polo is designed to run on 95 ron, I can't see the benefit in using a higher rated fuel. Even if it does contain detergents, I'm, sure my fuel system/engine would have problems if it needed cleaning