gearbox

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
garnier
Bronze Member

gearbox

Post by garnier »

I put my gearbox into a refurbisher on Monday in anticipation of gettting it rebuilt. He just called saying the box is beyond repair, that the casing has been cracked in the past and repaired with glue. (would explain the leaks from it).

Anyone any idea where I can get one? Ace gearboxes tell me they don't have any. I've tried a few online breaker's yards but no response so far.

totally gutted. I was expecting to pay the best part of a grand for this repair, but unless I can get a box from somewhere I might have to go to VW :(
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

gutted for you mate. not sure if vw will have any hope you get some joy from somewhere fingers crossed.
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

it gets worse - I have a warranty (warranty direct) which covers the box. It had a whine for ages and started getting really bad - they said they wouldnt fix it for just being noisy, that it would have to break.

So I 'broke' it with some forceful gear-crunching and took it in for repair. They turned round and said the damage was caused by an oil leak, and if you read the fine print parts arent covered if they leak oil. Double bummer
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

they are taking p*** aint they
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

I remember someone mentioning not so long back that he sourced another box, got it fitted to find it wasn't the gearbox causing the problem...sorry i cant be more help, hopefully they will post on the topic
BENNO
Getting There!

Post by BENNO »

Try TREVOR @ VOLKSPARES on 02087787766. I got my box off them about 7/8 months ago. He seemed to know a lot about the gti gearbox problems. I havn't had any problems with my new box (fingers crossed). Cheaper than ACE gearboxes as well.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by BENNO on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silva_B!tch_Owner
Bronze Member

Post by Silva_B!tch_Owner »

Thats a shame what happened.

I may actually have a gearbox in the next few weeks as I have been offered an alternative engine and gearbox other than the Polo Gti one for my car. So both would need to come out, but there is nothing wrong with my box it doesn't whine at all.

I'd be looking to sell that if your interested?
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

what engine you sticking in?
gazmangti
Getting There!

Post by gazmangti »

Mate feel sorry you. Mine went last week. Cost £500 for box, 100 for clutch kit and had to have the flywheel skimmed and labout was £200.

Best part of £900.

Glouster Road gearbox's in bristol have them on the shelf.

Cheers

Gaz
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

Not a topic anyone likes posting about, but if those who have had to source a new box or had it reconditioned could update this thread http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... hp?t=27270 I think it would help those who are in need.
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

The casings on all the Polos boxes are the same, so if you can find a 1/1.4L one you can strip it out and then put GTIs gear set in it.
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

Silva_B!tch_Owner wrote:Thats a shame what happened.

I may actually have a gearbox in the next few weeks
Thanks, but kinda Need It now.

I can't believe I've had the car for 10 months and it's been running a gearbox that's casing has been held together with haraldite glue. Unbelievable, some people are total cheapskates.

I'll try Gloucerter Road Gearboxes in the morning, sounds promising.
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

Just get hold of a mk2 or mk3 box and use the casing. i'm sure you could find one for no more than £20.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

my_little_polo is breaking a GTi? as will sum1 else soon (can't remember his name, he posted a topic about selling his leather interior the otherday tho) have you tried them?
stani540
Gold Member

Post by stani540 »

my gearbox has just gone aswell so i feel your pain! new gearbox and clutch ouch!!!