Had a bright idea...

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
vdubit
Gold Member

Had a bright idea...

Post by vdubit »

What if i were to upgrade my main beams to xenons? Only, it'd be rude to fit 6000k bulbs to the main beams and keep the 4300k dip bulbs. So, i went and bought 6000k dip bulbs as well. Also bought some white led sidelights. Installing it all this weekend, any idea's where i can fit another ballast?

(Sorry for cheesy pun)
Silver Member

Post by 8080 »

xenons aren't good for main beams due to their power-up cycle, as it takes 6-8 seconds for them to get into their steady-state. The parts will wear out quicker, that's all. I don't think flashing people will be a good idea
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

edit: "...deleted comments".
Last edited by garnier on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

What's that got to do with his headlghts?
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

For the record I've completely changed my original post. If he wants to have super bright high-beams to allow him to bullet along country roads in the dark at 60mph+, then so be it. The boy racer culture is part of the reason I'm selling my GTi, too many people dead that didn't have to be.
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

garnier wrote:
For the record I've completely changed my original post. If he wants to have super bright high-beams to allow him to bullet along country roads in the dark at 60mph+, then so be it. The boy racer culture is part of the reason I'm selling my GTi, too many people dead that didn't have to be.
Am a little confused about this comment!!!

After been on this forum for close to 4 years and having a passion for hating boy racers, 'd have to disagree with the GTi been a boy racer car!!! Yes 1 or 2 of us may like to have the occasional blast about in a car capable of giving us some when driving but that is no where near to the extent to what boy racers (and girls) do. Thrashing their cars to death, in an extremely unsafe manner and also making half decent cars look like somet "hotwheels" would make, but worse! Also quite confused as to how you've come to the conclusion Andy (hope thats your name) is a boy racer because he wants to fit brighter lights to see the road more clearly, make the car more noticeable at night, and also improve general look of the car at night!!! :?

Or am i missing something?
Tetsuo_83
Getting There!

Post by Tetsuo_83 »

I have silver bulbs that glow white instead of my yellow front bulbs... am I a boyracer now? I thought I was 25???
:shock:
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

Tetsuo_83 wrote:I have silver bulbs that glow white instead of my yellow front bulbs... am I a boyracer now? I thought I was 25???
:shock:
You'd have your tag grafixed on your car if you did me thinks :)

The Dub scene ain't like a group of boyracers, infact most of the time at meets i've been to, everyone parks up and admires eachothers rides instead of doing burnouts and doughnuts!

Think he know his not adding performance with the lights thinking like the boyracers who'll add a stripe to a nova thinking it gives extra 50bhp and calls it a showcar trying to race every car in its path.
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

Too many beers and posting on forums is a bad idea. Sore head this morning :oops:I'll get me coat
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Had a bright idea...

Post by alexperkins »

vdubit wrote:What if i were to upgrade my main beams to xenons? Only, it'd be rude to fit 6000k bulbs to the main beams and keep the 4300k dip bulbs. So, i went and bought 6000k dip bulbs as well. Also bought some white led sidelights. Installing it all this weekend, any idea's where i can fit another ballast?

(Sorry for cheesy pun)
HIDs can be used for high beams, providing you get soft start ballasts that only take a moment to warm up. True its not as quick as a coventional bulb, but the output is far superior.

Fo the other ballast, you could fit it under the fire shield near the bonnet catch - thats where my two are mounted for my mains as its the only place I could get a good hold on for some bolts :P
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

Ooo, it would appear i started a rather heated topic. Am curious as what garnier wrote though!

Only reason for purchase is I was fed up of main beam making no difference to dip beam. When i flash i will use fog lights so as not to burn them out!

The kit is designed for main beam lamps so i assume the ballasts are soft.

Alex, have you a pic of where you have mounted them?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

vdubit wrote: When i flash i will use fog lights so as not to burn them out!

ohh i'd love to have my fogs flashing ASWELL as my fulls! is it easy to do?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

My fogs are just hardcore LEDs imported from america as DRLs :P hahah :D

Ill get a pic shortly for ya buddy!
JPR_polo_gti
Silver Member

Post by JPR_polo_gti »

garnier wrote:Too many beers and posting on forums is a bad idea. Sore head this morning :oops:I'll get me coat
:lol: Comedy, made me chuckle at least.
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

Tim_GTi wrote: ohh i'd love to have my fogs flashing ASWELL as my fulls! is it easy to do?
I meant instead, but you could wire it up as well i suppose, infact, thats not a bad idea. Just run two wires directly from the main beams to the foglights. Job done!