Another camera recommendation!

A place to discuss Photography and Photoshop, show off your skills and have the odd competition!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Another camera recommendation!

Post by Tim_GTi »

My girlfriend pointed out a camera she wants for christmas and was wondering if anyone knew of anything better in a price range up to £150?

its a Kodak Z710

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-Z710-Digi ... 376&sr=1-1
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

What are you looking for in a camera?

Portability?
Big zoom?
Good flash for indoor shots?
That sort of thing :)

As an all-rounder, I'd recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-EX-Z1050- ... 015&sr=1-2

My last camera was a Casio, and I had it for almost 4 years. It always took nice photos, it was nice and portable, and it was pretty much bulletproof.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

well i reckon she'll be using is mostly at gigs, parties and general stuff with the friends, so a reasonable flash, good for night shooting, good for portraits
And call her weird but i think shes after one with a SLR type shape to it, not the often flat and portable sized ones :roll:
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

for the money, that Kodak seems pretty good! 7.1 MP and the 10x optical zoom would be the big advantages of that!

for £150, you can get a Fuji with 10xOZ but it only has 5.1MP.

After that with decent zoom (but not in a compact shell), you are looking at the Panasonic FZ8 (8MP, 12xOZ, Leica lense), the Sony DSC-H7 (8.1MP, 15xOZ, Carl Zeiss lense) and the Panasonic FZ18 (8MP, 18xOZ, Leica lense).
All of these are between the £200-300 price range and would be the best to use at gigs due to their long zooms, but would also be very capable of all other tasks. After that you are into D-SLR price range.
SixDegrees
New

Post by SixDegrees »

Mega pixles is the last thing you should worry about. I guess she's not planning on printing at A3 and above, so anything from 4mps will suffice.

Most pop-up flashes are good for about 15-20ft at most (I say 15ft), so unless she's at the front row of a gig it ain't going to make much difference.

Good optical zoom is must, so 10x or 12x.

Next on my list would be the lowest F-stop it goes down to and most are f2.8 but any that are lower are better but beware this is the widest the apeture goes when in 'wide' mode not tele (Zoom). Low f-stop numbers are good for low light.

ALso, get one with a good LCD at the back, some only show 80% of the true image, so bigger usually means more coverage and also aids when holding camera away from the eye, ie up high for shots of the crowd.

I'm a big fam of the Fuji range of PnS and SLR styles, and some really good 6mp or 8mp models can be had for under £200. If not the Sony's are well respected as are Nikon Coolpix and Canon P-Shot.

Nowt wrong with the Panasonic tho.

As per other post...

www.dpreview.com

Reviews 99% of cameras on the markets, pits them against each other and gives genuine reviews / results.

:)
Last edited by SixDegrees on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

thanks alot for the help guys!!

I'll check that review site out and see what they say about a couple of the cameras in budget