problems with windscreen fogging up!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Kelk11
Bronze Member

problems with windscreen fogging up!

Post by Kelk11 »

when ever the outside temperature falls below 4 celcious my windscreen gets extremely misty and can also make the other windows mist up too.
does anyone else get this? it might be just me with the setting i have the a/c on. whatever i try doesnt seem to have an effect and the only way is to drive with my window down until it clears.
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

If you run a/c in 'econ' mode it should get round this.

Believe it's a common problem. I have a feeling it's a damp pollen filter
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

lol mines the same set the climate control to the windscreen and turn it off so when you trun your motor on in the morning or when ever the heating will be on the screen should solve the problem its sorted mine, hope this helps mate.
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Mines a pain. I turn air con on for 30 secs to get rid of the mist, turn it off to save fuel/gain power then I need to turn it back on a minute later!
thedees1
Sponsor

Post by thedees1 »

i get the same prob, i havent used the climate control for about 9 months in the gti, i jus lower the window to get rid of the fog
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

I just stick the windscreen de-mister button on first thing then just have my climate control on all the time once it's cleared set at about 21/22 as it's starting to get cold :lol:
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

I too get the same issue...

Its especially annoying if all you want is a slow trickle of unheated outside air...You practically have to always have the aircon running, or atleast have the windows open to prevent the enevitable fogged vision...

Im wondering if the aircon condensor isnt draining properly thus causing condensation to form in the air ducting when the aircon is switched off which is quickly spread througout the car when the fan starts up.....yet another wonderfull design quirk from the lads at VW
1 GTI
Silver Member

Pollen filter change

Post by 1 GTI »

How do you change the pollen filter? I think it's located in the passenger footwell but can anybody confirm this please? My windscreen mists up awfully quickly and it's starting to annoy me. Cheers
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

The pollen filter is located above the passenger footwell..

To access it..

Open the bonet, remove the rubber seal that runs across the car just below the windscreen...Once thats off, the plastic pannel under the windscreen should pull out.... E-voila...Pollen filter and ECU in wonderfully damp locations :-D
1 GTI
Silver Member

Post by 1 GTI »

When you say the plastic seal, is it the thin rubber or all the black plastic about 5 inches wide? Cheers for the help :D
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Am i the only person that doesnt have this problem? I just have the econ on moderate heat on the windscreen upon start up every time and never have this issue!

saying that i'll get it now and it will happen haha
R.I.T.B
Getting There!

Post by R.I.T.B »

this is so annoying! de-ice the outside and then have to wait for the inside to clear for like 5 mins, will have to try the pollen filter idea! cheers
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

I've found in the past that putting the climate control to demist, and switching the air recirculation on makes the screen clear quicker initially.

Just have to remember to turn the air recirculation off once it's cleared though...
andyniceday
Bronze Member

Post by andyniceday »

so annoying is this problem, as soon as you get in and sit there it just steams right up instantly.

and no manner of 'econ setting' fan power can keep it demisted once its cleared.

why on earth, once you've heated the car up inside and got it all clear, does it come back the instant you turn the air-con off.

as you can tell its really getting on my t**s at the moment :lol:
JPR_polo_gti
Silver Member

Post by JPR_polo_gti »

no probs here and it's been freezing.
get in with missus and two young kids in back.
window frozen up.
put on climate control to full heat with the window demister button on and rear window heaters and mirror heaters on, point fans at side windows as they're frozen up aswell.
washer fluid is 25% de-icer, set windscreen to wipe.
and i'm gone in under one minute.
when the car is warm, switch the climate control to 19 and switch off window demisting fan and window heaters.
no re-occurring misty windscreen problems.