green cotton air filter, better than pipercross

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

green cotton air filter, better than pipercross

Post by david burton »

Just got hold of a green cotton air filter for the TDI, had a pipercross one that was an awful fit before and sent it back.

this one was on special offer, £35 posted.

the build of it is way better than pipercross - proper durable rubber seal and much heavier.

plus I managed to fit it with the strut brace half in place - just undid one side and that gave enough flex for me to pop the filter in and out.

so there you go. no tests as yet, will pop out for a drive later on.
OctaviaRS
New

Post by OctaviaRS »

They're quality kit. I've used them or K&N for years. The wife's TDI has had a Green in since new, nearly four years now. Save yourself a couple of quid when you come to clean and re-oil, don't by the cleaner. A little washing up liquid and warm water does the job.

Cue someone mentions oiled filters and MAFs about now :roll:
mikehowett
Bronze Member

Post by mikehowett »

OctaviaRS wrote:They're quality kit. I've used them or K&N for years. The wife's TDI has had a Green in since new, nearly four years now. Save yourself a couple of quid when you come to clean and re-oil, don't by the cleaner. A little washing up liquid and warm water does the job.

Cue someone mentions oiled filters and MAFs about now :roll:
I had one of these but got paranoid about the whole MAF issue so replaced it with an OEM paper one and a new MAF :oops: :lol:

I may give it a good clean and put it back on now, just out of interest when you've cleaned yours, how much oil did u put on it and on which side? I find the Green filter cleaning guide a little confusing. The oil in the cleaning kit I got from them has a pump type spray, i was expecting an aerosol so i makes it hard to spray along the pleats.
OctaviaRS
New

Post by OctaviaRS »

mikehowett wrote:I had one of these but got paranoid about the whole MAF issue so replaced it with an OEM paper one and a new MAF :oops: :lol:
:lol:
mikehowett wrote:I may give it a good clean and put it back on now, just out of interest when you've cleaned yours, how much oil did u put on it and on which side? I find the Green filter cleaning guide a little confusing. The oil in the cleaning kit I got from them has a pump type spray, i was expecting an aerosol so i makes it hard to spray along the pleats.
I think mine's a pump spray too but just a light once over on both sides then I pat it with a sheet of kitchen roll. Hardly anything should show on the kitchen roll.

IIRC the last time it went to JBS for a service Darren just gave it a quick blast with compressed air. I know it says not to do this but I can't really see why not. You'd only damage the filter if you over did it.
TDI_Burd
Bronze Member

Post by TDI_Burd »

I have the green cotton panel filter in my TDI and its amazing!! i get a much better mpg and it does make the car feel a bit more nippy.

well recommend the green panel filter!!!
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

just tried it today.

seems to pull a bit better at higher speed (motorway). and that could just be the fuel I put in today ;)

anyway, I'd say it has improved the response of the car on the whole. wouldn't like to guess how much though.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

been thinking about one of these for quite a while! i may actually get round to getting one now i've seen some good comments!
Kam Racing
Bronze Member

Re: green cotton air filter, better than pipercross

Post by Kam Racing »

david burton wrote:Just got hold of a green cotton air filter for the TDI, had a pipercross one that was an awful fit before and sent it back.

this one was on special offer, £35 posted.

the build of it is way better than pipercross - proper durable rubber seal and much heavier.

plus I managed to fit it with the strut brace half in place - just undid one side and that gave enough flex for me to pop the filter in and out.

so there you go. no tests as yet, will pop out for a drive later on.

also if you look closely at where the rubber joins the filter there is no rubber seepage onto the cotton unlike every other manufacturer i've seen so will get marginally more air through. unfortunately I don't have an example to hand of another brand