New MK2 Saloon Owner - Parts availability question

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
bushboy
New

New MK2 Saloon Owner - Parts availability question

Post by bushboy »

My first post here so jsut want to start off by saying hello! :D

Ive just bought a 1990 MK2 Polo C Saloon as a run around as im currently very short of money so wanted a car with MOT and TAX for a bit that I could just use without hastle.

Now that doesnt mean im going to treat it like crap. Oh no! Ive wanted an old skool polo for ages. I used to have an MK2 GolfGTI towards the end of last year but I sold it on as spares as the engine died a death and I needed a car for work, not one sat on the drive getting fixed etc.

Anyway. The polo is pretty sound. Doesnt need any mechanical work as such but the front bumper has taken a little knock in the past and has some scuffs. Basically I want to replace it.

Are there any websites out there that stock replacement parts for the MK2 polo? More specifically body parts (whether genuine or decent pattern parts) but also interested in replacement engine parts etc. I dont really want to go round scrap yards as I know the saloon is pretty rare these days and its unlikely i'll find much. Plus I would much rather buy a new part than a used one!

The car is a 1990 1043cc Polo C saloon.

Any help appreciated!
DONK
New

Post by DONK »

Welcome,

The front bumper will fit from any other Mk2 polo.

Beevers panels sell good quality copy panels.
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

welcome along to the forum!

find mk2 parts is getting harder, they're just not around like they used to be!

i managed to get a brand new rear bumper for a squareback a couple of years ago from a guy off ebay. but i would doubt VW would still make the bumper! wouldn't hurt to ask your local VW dealer if they do! :wink:

Hope you get the stuff your looking for, and don't forget to post some pics! :wink:
mk2matt
Silver Member

Post by mk2matt »

i still have loads of mk2 parts im tryin to sort out and sell off

anything you need just shout i will make you a good deal
bushboy
New

Post by bushboy »

cheers guys

That Beevers panels website has all the bits ive been looking for so ill definatly get a front bumper on order and poss a new front grill too :D Shame im probably never gonna be able to get a new rear bumper to match. Whats the likelyhood that a coupe/breadvan mk2 rear bumper is the same as the saloon?

Cheers
Chris
The G Man
Getting There!

Post by The G Man »

Hello and welcome.....

You mentioned that you might be buying a new front grill? If you're dead set on a new part then that's fine but if you want a decent second hand one (I know it's decent as it was off my car - I replaced it with a grill with the spot lights in) contact me via email. You could have it for a couple of quid plus P&P or collect it - up to you. No worries if you want a new one though. And as the others have said... Post some pics if you've got any so we can have a look.

I've got a G reg that's still going strong. Needs a bit of a sand down over part of the front wheel arches (not that bad though) which I'm gonna tackle this summer as well as fit that central locking kit I've got. For a car that's coming up to 20 years old though it's in great condition if I do say so myself. Just shows you what the quality of VW is like - built like a tank and built to last!
bushboy
New

Post by bushboy »

Well here we are. Some piccies of the Polo!

appologies for the crap photos. But its what you get from a crap camera :P Want my D50 back :( [/img]
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

nice looing saloon you get there! good job! :wink:
DONK
New

Post by DONK »

Nice Ebay buy, has the front wing polished up?. Have you got the missfire sorted? .
DONK
New

Post by DONK »

Nice Ebay buy, has the front wing polished up?. Have you got the missfire sorted? .
bushboy
New

Post by bushboy »

The seller sorted the misfire before the end of the auction. if you scroll down the listing you can see he says he fixed it. It just needed a new ignition coil.

The wing is a strange one. When I first saw it, it looked a bit like someone had polished it so much that it had gone through to the primer coat :o But it hasnt... I polished it up with a MOP and its worked to an extent. Came up looking great at first but as soon as the car got wet (I washed it after polishing the wing) it faded agin :roll: So a little confused. im going to give it another go today with something a little harder.

otherwise theres a few rust bits here an there. nothing structual. Just surface spots, most likely from chips etc. Nothing a bit of wet and dry and some touch up wont sort!
bushboy
New

Post by bushboy »

Apologies again for the awful photos. I just sold my Nikon D50 (short of money) and am stuck using some random unbranded pretend video camera thing lol. I swear it has no white balance atall.

I gave the wing a proper going over again and its come up really nice this time and hasnt refaded lol... Shame as its a very slightly different colour to the rest of the car. Might improve with more polishing but at the moment its gorgeous and shiny and all one colour so im not expecting much better :P Im happy with it anyway!

Next job is to sort the rust around the radio ariel and actually fit an ariel as there isnt one! :roll: