Modifying - Removing front bumper

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
bushboy
New

Modifying - Removing front bumper

Post by bushboy »

Hullo guys.

Now I know i said the polo was just a run around but ive always had the modding bug in me and so ive been thinking and planning what I could do with the polo.

Now today I decided to remove the front bumper. Not for modding but to see if there was any damage to the front lower panel as its evident that its had a minor little bump in the past.

Luckily there is very little damage. I wouldnt do anything to it if I was going to refit the bumper BUT, now that the bumper is off, I think it looks awsome :P Might not be to everyones tastes but I think it looks really cool, and with a little smoothing, would look awsome!

Heres a little photoshop of what my idea is

Now obviously the no plate isnt on but I would sort that out later.

Now my question is, how legal is it to not have a front bumper? Will the car still pass an MOT?

Also, how easy is it to remove the front lower panel? Is it welded or just bolted like the MK2 golf? Can it be taken out and replaced fairly easily? Reason being is mines a little dented and I would prefer to prep, mod and spray a new panel, off the car rather than modding the current pannel. Plus as I said, its dented a little so not ideal.

I would also debumper the rear too, although Im not quite sure it would look as good as the front :(

Any help would be appreciated!
retro
Getting There!

Post by retro »

I think a de-bumpered polo could look cool if done right.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need a bumper for the MOT, but you can't leave any sharp protrusions, brackets, bolts etc. sticking out. I know that old Mini's will fail without a bumper because they have a seam that sticks out underneath. De-bumpered Minis have to have the bottom lip welded up and ground back.

The other thing to consider are that there are regulations governing the positions of indicators and license plates, so make sure you put them somewhere that complies.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

you'll be fine with no bumper for the MOT mate, looks good too!