neilGTI's Polo GTI - New Centre Caps Fitted

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
neilGTI
Gold Member

neilGTI's Polo GTI - New Centre Caps Fitted

Post by neilGTI »

Hi, my names Neil, i am from the West Midlands and i am 27 years old.

I have just bought a Polo GTI (6N2) which i picked up on tuesday night. (Photos to follow soon when i can get some done)

I love the car to bits already but there are few little problems with it that i need to get sorted out.

The ABS light is on but keeps going on/off so i think it might be the one of the sensors. :?:

The car leeks water from the drivers side wheel arch and i think it coming from the washer bottle, as when i topped the water back up the leek got faster :?

The steering wheel is slightly out of alignment although i have had the tracking and wheel balancing/wheel alignment done today but this hasnt cured the problem. :(

Can anyone please give me some advice on the best way to tackle these problems as i have pretty much spent out with having to buy the car so i want to try having a go at sorting the problems out myself if i can.

Thanks guys/gals

ps. love the forum, its so easy to navigate round :D
Last edited by neilGTI on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:20 am, edited 12 times in total.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Firstly, welcome to the site mate! top forum here 8)

In regards to the warning light, there's a wire underneath the rear bench that connects to a sensor on the rear beam, it often gets jolted and causes it to come on, have you had a few people in the back or anything recently? I had this happen a few times a few months ago, after about a week it just stopped doing it!

You leek sounds alot like the washer fluid, it's not unheard of for hoses to come loose or split, I wouldn't be able to tell you how to check or change them though sorry!
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Hi Neil, welcome to uk-polos.net! :D

NOt sure about that leak BUT the washer bottle is located on the passenger-side of the car so... I'm now wondering where those hoses run to and from! Worth checking.

ABS could be a faulty sensor, mine comes on occasionally and I found out at the recent ClubPolo rolling road day that I have a knackered rear left ABS sensor :(

Looking forward to seeing some pics :D

Cheers
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

i got the sensor problem to. took into the garage about 2 years ago or so and they couldnt find anything wrong with it so he said its prob just a sticky sensor. it came on the other day but went of now. not bothered me yet.
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

Thans for welcomes and advice :)

I investigated the leak from the drivers side wheel arch, and it is the headlamp washer system that is leaking.

I will remove the bumper tomorrow to investigate further, but it looks like the whole squirting mechanism on that side will need replacing.

I have got an OBD computer thingy that should give me a code for the ABS which should help me identify that problem. I can even switch the light off with it as well.

Here is the first photograph i have managed to take, i will be taking a load more on the weekend when i get the real camera out :)

one_must_fall
Bronze Member

Post by one_must_fall »

Lookin good. It there red around the lower grille as well?
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Welcome to the forum. I've never seen the red stripe along the lower grille before, looks very mint!
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

cheers, yeah all of the grilles have red stripe on them, including the spotlight grilles.

The grilles had been painted silver by the first owner and didnt look very nice, so they were painted again by the previous owner who rushed the job, so it only looks good from about 5m away. When you get up close to it, you start to notice imperfections.

I am panning to whip them off over the weekend and re-paint them :)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

looking very nice mate, esp the unique red around all the grills,

if you need any help getting the front bumper off check this guide out

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... =sidelight
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

hello mate welcome to the site, in regards to the washer bottle its actually a common problem, the seal at the bottom of it degrades and starts letting water out of the bottle, i had the same problem on mine, you can replace it ...the part costs like a quid...i never got round to doing it on mine before i traded it
Last edited by shantybeater on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

welcome to the forum mate, enjoy your stay!
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

Thanks guys :D

That bumper removal looks like fun, especially when its just to change a bulb :o

I took a couple more photos on my phone at lunch time, still waiting to get the real camera out which will be over the weekend:

shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

never seen people use red tape like that before...doesnt look too bad tbh!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

looks a bit too intense in those pics actually imo

I like the red going all around the top grill tho
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

shantybeater wrote:never seen people use red tape like that before...doesnt look too bad tbh!
They have actually been painted on :shock: no tape in sight

They used to look like this:

I think they look a lot better now, but i am still going to have a go at painting them over the weekend if i get the chance.
Last edited by neilGTI on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.