not again...surely

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

not again...surely

Post by Luke'sGti »

but oh yes my gearbox has gone for the thrid time - oil dripping out and cant select gears but no drive. Garage are investigating now. It was only refurbed 4 months ago for the 2nd time. Totally gutted. The question now is do i take it back to the origional place and haggle it done again for free or do I get another garage to sort it for £600? :evil:
nogwuy
Silver Member

Post by nogwuy »

free or £600 hhhmmmmmmm................ :wink:

recon you should take it back, 4 months use before failior is unaceptable :shock:
jason11
Platinum Member

Post by jason11 »

id cry 1st lol, try the garage that did it last..
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

According to consumer law, if you buy a product or service that is sold on false pretense or is sold unfit for purpose, you are, entitled to a full refund or a replacement product....

In this case, the company are really only able to offer another rebuild....

They may claim that 4 months is long enough for you to cause serious damage to the box, but that argument wouldnt stand up in court...

Dont let them take you up the arse...they owe you a rebuild, they WILL do it for free!
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

Post by Luke'sGti »

thanks for the replies guys - waiting on the origional garage coming back to me now - its definately the box :cry:

Keep your fingers crossed for me that they do it for free
jason11
Platinum Member

Post by jason11 »

if they dnt take it further !!
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

Yeah...as he says...

If they dont give the answer YOU want, then write a strongly worded letter threatening legal action...usualy does the trick...
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Ah that sucks man, did you get no warranty with the box?!
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

Post by Luke'sGti »

well i spoke to the garage and they said its 12 months or 12k miles the thing is from the origional 1st time it went i have probably covered more than 12k miles, but it had to go back again before christmas because one of the bearings went, so should that mean I get a new warranty because the box has had to come out and be fixed?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Luke'sGti wrote:well i spoke to the garage and they said its 12 months or 12k miles the thing is from the origional 1st time it went i have probably covered more than 12k miles, but it had to go back again before christmas because one of the bearings went, so should that mean I get a new warranty because the box has had to come out and be fixed?
Umm.. maybe, it depends on the terms of the warranty, have you explained the full situation to them?
Last edited by Tim_GTi on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

I'd say yes, all depend what the small print says though.
GeeTeeI
New

Post by GeeTeeI »

I don't think generaly speaking, warrenties are renewed at the time when you get them to do something under it.
However, as someone mentioned above...by law they will be liable to fix it. If it goes wrong twice in such a short space of time, it's not fit for purpose.

I've made the garage I bought my car from spend over 2k on my car fixing it...the warrenty hasn't and will not even be mentioned.
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

Post by Luke'sGti »

Thanks for the replies guys - I think that they wont be keen to fix it as this is the 4th time that there has been a problem with it within 12 months - to me that says poor workmanship on the reconditioning of the gearbox, but they will probably say that it is different parts of the box going each time. When some of you say seek legal action - who am I best to get advice from on this front? Would Trading Standards be a good place to start do you think? Sorry for all of the questions.
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

If the first time the box went in, it was completely rebuild...

Then a few months after, part of the box failed again (due to bad workmanship)...

They replace the part free of charge...

If the box goes again within a reasonable time (which it has!), they should aknowledge that the origional rebuild was flawed given that they have already had to rectify a failure in their work once before....It is not unreasonable to assume that their shoddy workmanship has caused it to fail again...

The law says they have to atleast contribute to the work....Threaten them with legal action if they feck you around...and then follow it thoguh in the small claims court...its not a big issue...
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

Post by Luke'sGti »

Well I rang consumer direct, and they stated that irrelevant of warrant period they have not maintained the followuing act:-

"The supply of goods and service act"

Which states that they cannot supply faulty goods, and repairs that are made must be completed with reasonable care and skill to a satisfactory quality.

According to the bloke there, he said 4 gearbox fixes in 12 months is not satisfactory, so it is irrelevant what the warranty says. So I have said to the garage that its not reasonable and they are ringing me back with their thoughts. So keeping my fingers crossed on this one now.