bought a new head unit - help please!

Discuss In Car Entertainment
jonners_gti
Getting There!

bought a new head unit - help please!

Post by jonners_gti »

Hi chaps

i bought a new head unit yesterday, a JVC KD AVX33 ( http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kdavx33 ... -5778.html ).

had a few problems fitting it yesterday, the guy at halfords sold me the wrong adaptor etc, but in the end got it mostly set up.

just a couple of problems, first of all i can get it to fit into my dashboard, theres so many wires behind it! think i just need to have a play around and should be able to get it in!

the other problem is that due to it been able to play video it has a cable which needs to be connected to the handbreak, hence so you can only play video when at standstill. is there any way to over ride this function? will be a bit of a bind getting the cable to the handbreak etc.

thanks
charlievwp
Gold Member

Post by charlievwp »

I've been told it's simple - the cable that should go to the handbrake just needs to be put down to earth/body of the car.
Hopefully that should do it. Good luck! :D
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

with the wires, you'll just have to persevere, it sometimes takes an age to get them all routed so they won't jam up the back of the HU!
D77
Bronze Member

Post by D77 »

I struggled with the wires on my pioneer avic -x1r but it did go in. All the wire to the handbrake cable is looking for is an earth, just join it to the same one as the stereo is wired to. :D
ian1989
New

Post by ian1989 »

all i done to my gfs dvd head unit was join the pink handbreak wire to the earth wire on the same wire block
neilGTI
Gold Member

Re: bought a new head unit - help please!

Post by neilGTI »

jonners_gti wrote:halfords
There was your biggest problem, they are useless.

If you remove the little cubby box underneath the stereo, you will be able to feed the cables away from the stereo (stopping them from "bunching up" and making it difficult to push the stereo back)

Replace the cubby box, which can be a little difficult when the stereo is pushed in, but not impossible.