Help me out... I can't choose!

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Speedlaw

Help me out... I can't choose!

Post by Speedlaw »

I'd never thought it'd come to this...

I can't choose between these wheels even if my life depended on it...

Here's the thing, I've had a set of BBS Solitudes in my bedroom for 4 months now, bought them just before winter set in.

I was going to fit these within a week or two, but I'm having serious doubts.

Since they are OE Polo wheels (Color Concept, Joker, etc) they'll look okay, but it may not be what I'm after. Here's what they look like:

Now, as an alternative, I'm considering Ronal R10's. Yes, the love 'em or hate 'em Turbo's...
Not too expensive, and I can sell my current BBS wheels within a day, without a loss, to a mate. Not bad eh?

Here's the Ronal's. Or, look at Tas' Gti...

I know his car is a Mk5, but it's the best I could do.

Can someone kick me into making a decision?

Please?
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

Image :wink:
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Better innit?

I am a bit worried though that there's no-one else out there that 'gets' these wheels, and that I'll be mocked where ever I show up...

*paranoid*

:roll:
polo2k

i know everyone says this btw but its true

Post by polo2k »

ill tell you what then mate
as you (and a few peeps on here) know i work in the auto trade. some times i get a LOT of stick from my co workers about the way i choose to mod my car (they prefer the lairy and neone`d style) when ever i hear them i start to think about changing my plans to be a little more "out there"/ "garish"(didnt mean to offend btw) but then when i jump in my car and drive her again i realise that the reason why i mod my car isnt those monkeys, its me. i modify my polo because i like the polo, not because i couldnt find a clio williams (like there all looking for). i got a silver polo cos of the way i love the way you cvan make the light play over the panels. i didnt get a five door so that it was a little cheeper or a little trendier. i bought my polo because it was my choise, there was a red 3 door TDI that was a tad mode but no i saw my polo and liked it so i got it. then i saw my wheels and chose them, fitted them etc and when i used to say that i ran OZ tucanos they would say oh got youve got some of the most played out style of wheel going (5 spoke 15") but those same people were the same ones that rushed out to see my car with the wheels fitted. same with the suspension and largely the same as far as my future plans go because people out here dont like smoth styling and cant understand why i dont pick up a gti motor and ecu rather than wring my engine out till it pops.
its your car
its your choise
its your money
its you who gets the *** kissing when they all realise "whoa dude like that rocks"(exept in nederlandeez, or german or english (what language do netherlandic(?) peeps speek :?: ))
so please dont mod your car for them, me a forum do it for you and if you like it painted lime green with pink dots then dont expect me to like the color but i will buy the next round of drinks to say that i respect you for doing what you wanted
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Speedlaw...

I like!

How big are the wheels you currently have?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Geez, well said Ash. You're absolutely right. I'm going to get what pleases me most. Thanks again.

Oh, and we speak Dutch by the way. But Nederlandeez sound pretty cool as well.

:lol:

Josh:

They're 6x14" stock wheels, made by Cromodoro I believe. Gots-to-go though! The Ronals are 7x15 @ ET 35 or 28 IIRC.
hayesey
Silver Member

get the turbos on

Post by hayesey »

speedlaw:

nuff sed!!

get the turbos on.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

nederlandeez weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:
im glad i could help cos if you dont like your car then you wont be pleased with it and it you dont like it then you wont be as motivated so things only get done so-so instead of 100% i have the same problem since a copper made me remove my front tints but i may have a plan in the making :wink:
so do we get to know which wheel it isor is it a surprise until the grand unveiling on the car

ps another thing i didnt think of in my last post is that wheels are such a big change that if you pick the whong one then its like you swapped for a ******
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

fyi 7x15" is what i run and since our cars are very similar underneath then i can tell you that when lowered it sticks like glue :D and pray for 35 not 28
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Yup, I'm aiming for the Ronals. I've only got to break it to the missus...

But should I get the higher ET? Why not the lower ET on the back and the higher on the front? Could be kinda cool.

*Psyched!*
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

good point oh btw i was doing some refinishing work on my dads summer alloys today and there ronals too! there the stock a170cdi wheels with about 10 holes round the side and a really filled centre and 5 8mm holes in a concentric ring with the bolt holes
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Ronal is trustworthy from what I've heard so far, the fact that they make OE wheels reinforce that!

But why exactly should I go for high ET's? I thought 28's would fit too?

:?:
Speedlaw

Re: get the turbos on

Post by Speedlaw »

hayesey wrote:speedlaw:

nuff sed!!

get the turbos on.
Hayesey- Cool pic, completely forgot about that one. Found some more actually, pretty cool:

KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Hi Speedy, I've had a thought about your wheel dilema.

The Ronals are fantastic wheels, but we are starting to see more cars with them on. if you like the style, but want something different, have you tried th Pirelli P-Slots? I think you'll like. I saw these on a Mk2 Golf @ Worthasee show last year (the wicker car).

I'll get a pick so you can see.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Do I know them? Damn, I dream about those wheels!

They're like the holy grail of classic wheels! I wonder how they'd look on a Mk4 though...

What d'you reckon?