Want to buy my first DSLR advice needed (hi from usa!)

A place to discuss Photography and Photoshop, show off your skills and have the odd competition!
JoeG07
Gold Member

Want to buy my first DSLR advice needed (hi from usa!)

Post by JoeG07 »

Because the Pound is so strong and the dollar is so weak, roughly 1 pound to $2, it means basically everything in america is half price, so i want to take advantage of this and buy a digital slr while im over here, and a couple of lenses, particularly a 300mm zoom lens for wildlife photography then probably a wide angle or fish eye. Not really sure what to look for or what to buy or the best i can get for my money, i've got about $1000 to play with. Any help / advice would be apprecated . thanks !
CraigMK4
Silver Member

Post by CraigMK4 »

Check out the new Nikon range, they've just released the D60 and D300, both are awesome cameras, i use a D80 but nikon may update it soon, if it's your first dslr i would recommend a D60 or a Canon 450d, personally i'd go for the Nikon, best to visit a camera shop and have a look at each brand see what feels best for you.
Mike
Bronze Member

Post by Mike »

A big issue is customer support and warranties. Under EU warranty regulations manufacturers are now obliged to repair products in the UK if they’ve been purchased from a country within the EU and the same model is also officially available in the UK.

But if you buy outside the EU you risk getting stung. If there’s a serious problem with the product, it may cost you a significant amount of money to return it to its country of origin. Also, the local customer support department may refuse to send it to an address that’s outside its own country.

On some products such as notebook PCs and cameras, which tend to be used by frequent travellers, you may be able to buy an international warranty card. This will entitle you to get your product repaired in a different country to where it was purchased and give you access to local customer support.

But if you haven’t bought from within the EU or don’t have an international warranty card, it is likely that UK customer support employees will treat the product as a ‘grey import’ – an item that has been imported, legally, but without the agreement of the manufacturer – and refuse to help you.

Worth thinking about..
DanOliver
Silver Member

Post by DanOliver »

Anyone got a 'Canon EOS 400D'? I have been looking to get a DSLR and it just caught my eye as I quite like its design and its been highly rated on a couple of sites..
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

DanOliver wrote:Anyone got a 'Canon EOS 400D'? I have been looking to get a DSLR and it just caught my eye as I quite like its design and its been highly rated on a couple of sites..
went for the canon 40d and i love it
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

DanOliver wrote:Anyone got a 'Canon EOS 400D'? I have been looking to get a DSLR and it just caught my eye as I quite like its design and its been highly rated on a couple of sites..
My dads got one, just upgraded from a 350D. It's sick. It does a 25fps burst up to 3 seconds..... which is film speed 8)
DanOliver
Silver Member

Post by DanOliver »

Sweet :D I have been looking and have decided that in a few months time I will see if I can afford a 450D which I think is the newer version of the 400D?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Petrol_Head
Silver Member

Post by Petrol_Head »

recently got the 400D.... All i can say is it is amazing! never had an DSLR... and don't think I will ever need another one!

Its the bizness... I'm not too good with it at the mo... but still amazing myself with how clear pictures are... example bellow...

david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

2USD to 1GBP does not mean half price - I've lost count how many times I've heard that! Does the fact that you get 170 japanese yen to 1GBP mean that everything in Japan is 170 times cheaper? No!

The pound is strong against the dollar, so it makes things about 20% cheaper, which is still good.

As far as DSLRs go, it's definitely worth buying a speedlight so you can bounce the flash off different objects rather than straight at them. One of my best purchases to be honest.

And I've heard the D60 isn't that great, so the D90 is the only real option and that's quite pricey. The latest grapevine news is to consider the Sony DSLRs if you can believe it!

Enjoy the new camera.
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

yeah but things tend to be about the same price in dollars as they are in pounds, dollars not normally far off the pound but at the time i was out there it was almost exactly 1:2 altho its weeker now
david burton wrote:2USD to 1GBP does not mean half price - I've lost count how many times I've heard that! Does the fact that you get 170 japanese yen to 1GBP mean that everything in Japan is 170 times cheaper? No!

The pound is strong against the dollar, so it makes things about 20% cheaper, which is still good.

As far as DSLRs go, it's definitely worth buying a speedlight so you can bounce the flash off different objects rather than straight at them. One of my best purchases to be honest.

And I've heard the D60 isn't that great, so the D90 is the only real option and that's quite pricey. The latest grapevine news is to consider the Sony DSLRs if you can believe it!

Enjoy the new camera.