IS YOUR POLO CUTTING OUT , PLEASE READ,

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
rooby_roo
New

IS YOUR POLO CUTTING OUT , PLEASE READ,

Post by rooby_roo »

hi all ive seen a few threads on here about polos cutting out at junctions,
ive seen people spend hundreds trying to sort the problem out when all it takes in most cases is 10 mins and its free
all you have to do is take the air box of and there is a pipe attatched to it, this is the problem part, block the end of the pipe and give it a rev, not to hard or the oil will try to escape through the dipstick, every now and then let go and loads of slimey gunge will fly out, this is blocking the car from breathing so it makes it stall .
ive had 3 polos with cutting out problems and every time all it took was to clean the gunk out of the breather pipe, its worked every time.
in some cases the pipe has actualy collapsed so obviously the car cat breath properly, replace the pip an away you go.

i just did a polo 1.4 se that was cutting badly , and loads of gunk shot out the pipe, took it for a run and its 100% perfect.

so before you go off buying throttle boddies, leads, dizzys etc etc.
clean this pipe out and it may well cure your problem
ps apologies if anyone has already sussed this out and posted it already

im just trying to save you guys alot of money
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

"That Pipe" is the Crankcase Breather, And alot of us have already tried that :) But thank you for the advise. Nice to see you're someone that knows something useful. :D
nickyb05
New

Post by nickyb05 »

i have also had this problem, cleaning the carbretta seemed to do the trick for me. hasn't happened since
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

I solved mine by disconnecting the MAP Sensor. (Manifold Air Pressure Sensor)

It's still disconnected, really need to orser a new one. :D
Josh_polo
Gold Member

Re: IS YOUR POLO CUTTING OUT , PLEASE READ,

Post by Josh_polo »

rooby_roo wrote:hi all ive seen a few threads on here about polos cutting out at junctions,
ive seen people spend hundreds trying to sort the problem out when all it takes in most cases is 10 mins and its free
all you have to do is take the air box of and there is a pipe attatched to it, this is the problem part, block the end of the pipe and give it a rev, not to hard or the oil will try to escape through the dipstick, every now and then let go and loads of slimey gunge will fly out, this is blocking the car from breathing so it makes it stall .
ive had 3 polos with cutting out problems and every time all it took was to clean the gunk out of the breather pipe, its worked every time.
in some cases the pipe has actualy collapsed so obviously the car cat breath properly, replace the pip an away you go.

i just did a polo 1.4 se that was cutting badly , and loads of gunk shot out the pipe, took it for a run and its 100% perfect.

Would this cause the acellerator pedal to go stiff when trying rev cause my problem still hasnt been sorted mainly due to funds, would be good if this fixes it!?

How hard isit to replace the pipe and how much does this cost 'cause knowing my like oils gona fly out the dipstick :lol:
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

vw-po-low wrote:I solved mine by disconnecting the MAP Sensor. (Manifold Air Pressure Sensor)

It's still disconnected, really need to orser a new one. :D
Where abouts is it located?
Josh_polo
Gold Member

Post by Josh_polo »

Josh_polo wrote:
rooby_roo wrote:hi all ive seen a few threads on here about polos cutting out at junctions,

Would this cause the acellerator pedal to go stiff when trying rev cause my problem still hasnt been sorted mainly due to funds, would be good if this fixes it!?

How hard isit to replace the pipe and how much does this cost 'cause knowing my like oils gona fly out the dipstick :lol:
rooby_roo
New

Post by rooby_roo »

Josh_polo wrote:

wont cost you a penny m8. just undo the screws on the air box, and you will see the pipe attatched to it, just get someone to block it while you rev the car a bit, then unblock itand it should fly out if its blocked with gunge.
you dont have to replace th pipe unless its collapsed all together, then just replace it or if you have an old piece of hosepipe around just slip a bit inside to make th pipe breathable again, bu thats just a short term fix really, replacing it would be the ideal answer.
Josh_polo
Gold Member

Post by Josh_polo »

Would that explain why my acellerator pedal is stiff to push down then?
How does the stuff fly out if the valve closes? or do i keep the revs up then unlbock it?

Thanks for the info by the way.
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

Josh_polo wrote:Would that explain why my acellerator pedal is stiff to push down then?
How does the stuff fly out if the valve closes? or do i keep the revs up then unlbock it?

It wouldn't solve a 'sticky' accelarator pedal. For that you'd need to grease/oil all the moving parts of the throttle, or possibly fit a new cable.
rooby_roo
New

Post by rooby_roo »

Josh_polo wrote:Would that explain why my acellerator pedal is stiff to push down then?

sor m8 dont know abouy sticky pedal, try greasing it,
keep the revs up when you block the pipe, the pressure will build and then you unblock it and it wll come out
i put a bulb in the end of the pipe, revved in for a coulple of seconds, took the bulb out and it literaly shot out the pipe as i took the bulb out the end of it.
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

Just be weary that driving around without the Crankcase Breather is an offence. It has to have a filter by law.

It plugs in underneather the airbox on the left hand side.
rooby_roo
New

Post by rooby_roo »

vw-po-low wrote:Just be weary that driving around without the Crankcase Breather is an offence. It has to have a filter by law.

It plugs in underneather the airbox on the left hand side.
once its been unblcked obviously you push it back into place on the air box, or you will get a messy engine aswell.
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

I doubt that. if you have a vast amount of oil in your filter (because that wont stop oil coming up) then you have a problem. And i was just saying. That it is a must for it to be filterd.

The pipe is just a breather. Tho my Polo only has 23k on when i got her and cleaned my crankcase breather. Shes now on 27K not that much dirt.

The only way it would make a dear mess of your engine bay is if it was pumping oil.
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

vw-po-low wrote: if you have a vast amount of oil in your filter (because that wont stop oil coming up) then you have a problem.
If, as Rob stated above, you have a breather pipe that's 'chuffing' oil residue into the filter box & after cleaning it out you still have the same problem, you obviously have an issue deeper in the engine & no amount of reving & pipe squeezing will cure that!

What comes up that pipe should only be oil vapour, the need for it to be filtered, (which is then fed back into the engine to be burned). If you have oil drawn up the breather it will clog your filter, which in turn makes the engine breath harder, stressing the engine a little more & makes the small problem bigger.
Last edited by Torq-Al on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.