Car is cutting out randomly !

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
PoLoCrAzZy0708
New

Car is cutting out randomly !

Post by PoLoCrAzZy0708 »

I have recetnly bought a 1998 16v polo. Since i have owned the car which is bout 3weeks now it has started to cut out randomly when driving, but only happens when it is in low gear or standing still. the car starts up fine again afterwards...no problem!..

I haven taken my car to my local vw garage and they have done a test on the car and told me the engine seems fine but they cannot find out why its cutting out. They told me leave it with them for couple off days and they will run a few more checks! but that was no good for me ! was just wondering if there is any1 that has experienced they same problem or knows why it is doing that and what i should do to repair it. !

I have been told by a mechanic at the vw garage that it is a common fault on the 16v polos ! not sure if this is true thoe :roll: The car is also a little bit rough on idle and the rev counter stays on 10 never goes to 0. im not sure whether that is related to the rough idling?!

please let me know whay you guys think !

cheers.. :D
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Throttle body cleanout and a new temperature sender would be the first things id do :)

The car idles just under 10 (about 850ish rpm) so itll only go to 0 when its off :P
PoLoCrAzZy0708
New

Post by PoLoCrAzZy0708 »

ohh right cheers for that mate :) .. how would i go about cleanin the throttle body ? is it something i can do myself or need goin to the garage to do it ? and where would the temperature sender be located aswell ? !