12v power/ Aeriel recepetion?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
joel88
New

12v power/ Aeriel recepetion?

Post by joel88 »

Hi, so heres the thing. I bought an ipod RoadTrip what plugs into the 12v cigarette lighter socket to power it.
The thing is, it stays powered on (got an led screen) after i have taken the key out of the car.
It's not the sort of thing i want to keep plugging in and taking out everytime i use it and i can't leave it plugged in if it's draining my power can i?! Any ideas?
Last edited by joel88 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petrol_Head
Silver Member

Post by Petrol_Head »

If you any good at wiring???

I would suggest wiring up to your 12V supply for your radio thats connected with the key in the ignition.

On my car its simple to see which wire it is as they are all labeled.

If your the daring type, you could axe off the cigarete adapter on your ipod road trip and wire the wires into the back of your head unit.
joel88
New

Post by joel88 »

Hmm, daring indeed eh!

Does it draw constant power then through the 12v? I read somewhere it possibly switches off after a certain time (something i haven't tried), but i guessed this is a modern car feature?? Seems weird the 12v would continue to draw power none stop?!
pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by pip_polo »

i've had my ipod plugged into the 12v socket for nearly a year, never took it out. i doubt it will pull enough power to drain the battery. the ipod on the otherhand.. mine lasts for about half an hour from full charge if it's not plugged in now :lol:
Petrol_Head
Silver Member

Post by Petrol_Head »

If you wire it, into the correct wire in the head unit, it wont be constant power unless the car is turned on.

Its what I did to wire in my fog lights that have a separate L.e.d Halo,

It needed a 12 V power supply and now works every time I turn the car on!
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

as you may need the high amp supply from the cigarette socket at some point or other then i would fit a 30 amp relay before the point then drop a switched feed from the head unit to power the relay that way you will get full amps to the aux point with no current draw down a smallish wire !
joel88
New

Post by joel88 »

Say whaaaaaaaat?! Lol. Man, it sounds all a bit complicated for me!
I think i might just unplug it when unused!
But this does bring me onto my next problem:

The recpetion through the RoadTrip is quite poor, yet in my girlfrinds Yaris it's awesome, also i can't get MW/AM on my radio at all. Never have been able to since i switched the OEM sony head unit for a kenwood one.
Reading on the net, i sounds like i need to buy an PC5-90 adapter, like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC5-90-Volkswagen ... 240%3A1318

Will that help me?
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

yeh i would say give it a go you got nowt to loose but it should make things better ... jamie
Q86ARR
Getting There!

Post by Q86ARR »

An amplifier will help. The standard headunit has a built in booster so it is advised to fit a booster when changing headunits.