1.3 6n air intake manifold tunning

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
jaycee
New

1.3 6n air intake manifold tunning

Post by jaycee »

as above just wondered if anyone has done any tunning to there manifold ? i have a custom ram air system with k&n panel filter and s/s cat back exhaust at the min with a jarno inspired gt cam in place which might i add was very good through the gears until 5th where this motor always struggled even before the cam for some reason !

my future plans are to get a s//s exhaust manifold and have the cat removed then poss mod the intake manifold or mod it 1st , i dont know yet ! shrick cam would be great too !

may also consider lightening the flywheel for some extra ponies :D

what you guys think about moding the manifold ? as you may have seen one from the inside then you will see why i want to get to grips with some porting tools :D

thanks for any input ... cheers jamie
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Modding your inlet-manifold is useless without changing the inletports of your head on an ADX engine. Stock ports and manifold are proper-factory-tuned to eachother, the diameters are equal. Getting a bigger bore inletmanifold will result in a bigger bore then the headports, making the air/fuel-mixture smash onto the edges of the smaller diameter of the head. Smoothing that bit out on the head is an option, getting a AEA inlet manifold + head is even a better option -> bigger inletmanifold (way bigger in airflow!) bigger inletports on the head, and bigger inletvalves :twisted: polish the head ports, it's combustion chambers, get it skimmed a bit for proper compression ratio and combined with your 3F cam your off for a nice ride 8)
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

what car is the aea out of jarno ?? i may consider the porting of my own head though or buy a donor head or as im now finding the fuel consumption terrible for the power output ! i may get rid and see about a 20 v turbo polo :D its just the group 13 insurance that puts me off !!
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

jaycee wrote:what car is the aea out of jarno ?? i may consider the porting of my own head though or buy a donor head or as im now finding the fuel consumption terrible for the power output ! i may get rid and see about a 20 v turbo polo :D its just the group 13 insurance that puts me off !!
AEA is the 1.6 8v single-point injection Polo-engine ;) the early mk4 1.6's are AEA's

Got myself one of those heads for a fair bargain from German Ebay :wink: If you start porting/polishing a head yourself, make sure to get yourself a AEA head, those only need some polishing for you to start feeling good difference on your ADX, also bigger inletvalves make a fair difference! But it will need to be skimmed about 1 to 1,2 mm