stalling problem with 98 polo

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
htid
New

stalling problem with 98 polo

Post by htid »

Hi,

My girlfriend has a 1998 polo 1.4cl and quite often the car will stall when you are slowing down or changing down the gears and the little red battery light will flicker on. I've been driving for 9 years by the way and it does it when I drive it too :). Sometimes you will change down from 3rd to 2nd for example and you will feel as if its going to stall and the revs go right down and the red battery light might even flicker on and unless you quickly get it into 2nd and keep the revs up it will just cut out. Now I dont think its the battery as it starts 1st time everytime. So if you are pulling up at a junction and you just have the clutch down and are not in gear it will just stall even though the clutch is down. Any ideas what this might be causing this? Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Also the passenger side electric window just stopped working yesterday :(
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Alternator sounds caput. It would be creating a huge draw when the revs are down, so it makes the engine stall. That is why the battery light is coming on. Get your battery checked out too.
htid
New

Post by htid »

cheers for the advice dude,
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

Commonly known as 'erratc revs', which you can search in the mk4 section.

There are other possible culprits so do a search and check all the possibilities.
htid
New

Post by htid »

Yer I have been searching, didn't you have the same problem too?
ejogs
New

Post by ejogs »

hey guys

I have just signed up to this site and have this same problem. I am an absolute newb when it comes to cars so any advice would be much appreciated.
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

I had the problem 2 years ago when it would happen like once a month then got to the point it was happening all the time.

However, I took the long route fixing the problem as there wasn't any established threads on here to work from. Pretty much changed every possible part that could be faulty!

Anyway, you'll notice it happens too much when its cold whereas in summer it will NEVER happen :?
polo gangsta
Bronze Member

Post by polo gangsta »

yh this was happening to me every now and then then after a while it happened every single time i put the clutch down, really started annoying me, so basically all i did was clean the carb and flush out all the crap and good as new, still hasn't stalled once now,

so yh i would recommend cleaning out the carb
htid
New

Post by htid »

''so yh i would recommend cleaning out the carb''

By this do you mean cleaning the throttle body? There seems to be a few threads on this on how to do it. I'm gonna go halfords and get some of Wynns Carburettor Cleaner £4.99 and give it a go. Only problem is I'm slightly worried about it Idling between 1500-2000rpm after cleaning it as others say it does this if you don't have the ecu reset (vagcom) or anything like that.
polo gangsta
Bronze Member

Post by polo gangsta »

yh i mean carb/throttle body lol

yh once cleaned mine out it did idle abit high like just above 1000 rpm but no way near 1500 - 2000 rpm, but literally after a day or two the idling revs went back to normal (just under 1000) and i dinn't reset nothing just did it on its own.

so yh get some of that carb cleaner from halfords or wateva and get like an old toothbrush or something and scrub the inside till its clean making sure you open/close the valve aswell so you can get in them tight spots
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

htid wrote:''so yh i would recommend cleaning out the carb''

By this do you mean cleaning the throttle body? There seems to be a few threads on this on how to do it. I'm gonna go halfords and get some of Wynns Carburettor Cleaner £4.99 and give it a go. Only problem is I'm slightly worried about it Idling between 1500-2000rpm after cleaning it as others say it does this if you don't have the ecu reset (vagcom) or anything like that.
Yep cleaning the TB. Not in all cases will it idle higher, if it doesn't then your fine (its never happened to me) if it does then its a cheap job to get the TB reset, but your engine will be fine idling higher whilst you take it to a garage. Or see if someone near you might have vag-com.
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

Idling higher isn't an issue and will receed back to normal afterwards. The TB can be re-aligned with vagcom and the ecu can be easily reset by taking the positive off the battery for an hour.
htid
New

Post by htid »

OK guys just to update you on my progress. Today I filled up with Shell V Power (usually use tesco standard), put some one shot redex carb and fuel injection cleaner in the fuel tank. Then I bought some Wynns carb cleaner from Halfords and sprayed this in the TB as suggested. Then I went for a burn around for half hour or so. The revs seem to now be idling at a much more stable level 900rpm and the car didn't stall once! Result!.........Also got the free battery check at Halfords and the battery was fine. So fingers crossed this has now solved the problem thanks to everyones help on here, Will obviously monitor the car this week going to work and back which will be the real test if it has worked :)

One thing I will say I noticed is when I took the cover off followed by removing the standard air filter in order to find the TB I did notice there was quite a lot of oil just sitting on the black plastic tray aroud the TB and where the air filter sits. Not sure why this was there?
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

htid wrote:OK guys just to update you on my progress. Today I filled up with Shell V Power (usually use tesco standard), put some one shot redex carb and fuel injection cleaner in the fuel tank. Then I bought some Wynns carb cleaner from Halfords and sprayed this in the TB as suggested. Then I went for a burn around for half hour or so. The revs seem to now be idling at a much more stable level 900rpm and the car didn't stall once! Result!.........Also got the free battery check at Halfords and the battery was fine. So fingers crossed this has now solved the problem thanks to everyones help on here, Will obviously monitor the car this week going to work and back which will be the real test if it has worked :)

One thing I will say I noticed is when I took the cover off followed by removing the standard air filter in order to find the TB I did notice there was quite a lot of oil just sitting on the black plastic tray aroud the TB and where the air filter sits. Not sure why this was there?
All you saw was condensed oil from the breather, no need to worry. That stuff is fine, but its usually that crap that clogs the TB (as well as stains the TB with carbs) and other sensors, which Is why I disconnected the breather and gave it its own filter.
htid
New

Post by htid »

The girly made it to work today no problems, looks like she's running smooth again :)