*Smash* Manifold downpipe meets speedbump of death

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
sega_boy
New

*Smash* Manifold downpipe meets speedbump of death

Post by sega_boy »

Curses. Managed to bash the manifold off a speedbump, and theres oil leaking out as i got the car on ramps. Now pipe isnt dented, but i think the gasket between engine/downpipe is trashed as shes "blowing" there and oil is in that area. How hard is it to change? I fitted my own coilovers and do servicing so im not a total idiot, just partical one! :-D
polo-sib
Gold Member

Re: *Smash* Manifold downpipe meets speedbump of death

Post by polo-sib »

manifold and the gasket are very easy to change. As you cars lowered I imagine you have hit the sump and caused a leak somewhere in it so that will probably need changing with a gasket. Down pipe is held by 2-3 M8 bolts if I member rightly, the manifold is held by about 6 M8 nuts on enging studs, which sometimes come undone so have some loktite handy, all pretty simple and inbetween a gasket, shouldnt take you long, remember to take the lambda out though.
sega_boy
New

Re: *Smash* Manifold downpipe meets speedbump of death

Post by sega_boy »

Ow its defiantly not the sump, got a good look around the underneath of the wee wagon as the downpipe sits lower than the 1.0 sump / oil pan. The oil is mostly down the front of the engine block, where the manifold meets the engine, which is what makes me think its the wee gasket. Again, anyone got experience of this? :roll: