different petrol

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
kipper
Platinum Member

different petrol

Post by kipper »

if u run ur car on cheap unleaded, 95 i think it is, but decide to put the supreme, 97 i think, in it, will it affect the engine or can it do n e damage? also can u notice a difference?

did it in my gf's c3 the other week when i put petrol in it and it seems ok but dont wanna do it to mine if it will cause problems...... ive had enough of them from my car......
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: different petrol

Post by alexperkins »

it will make no difference whatsoever. Petrol is petrol - its all unleaded, just one is a higher grade than the other.
Brad.
Silver Member

Post by Brad. »

It won't do any damage.
But theres no point in using it unless your car is set up properly for the 97ron (i think thats what the higher grade petrol is?)

You won't see any major advantages...
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

how will i know which petrol my car is best suited for? its a 2000 x reg 1 litre.....
chewy
Platinum Member

Post by chewy »

97 and 99 are for higher performance cars :D
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

so i might as well stick with the cheaper petrol?

even if i do put the better stuff in my beast of a car with the huge 1 litre engine it wont make a difference performace wise?
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

I used the better stuff now and again in my CTR and didnt notice any difference apart from my petrol bills getting higher. Think it just keeps the engine cleaner inside but I think it needs to be used from clean for a while to make a difference.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Won't make a difference in performance at all mate. It's just more refined. I've always used it my GTi, for no hope of performance gains, it's just something I've always done.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I've been filling up with BP Ultimate (97 RON) for years now. It does genuinely improve my MPG - I get between 30-40 extra miles per tank of fuel as compared to regular unleaded - but obviously this is offset somewhat by the additional cost of the premium fuel :)

Just putting one fill of premium fuel in a car that normally gets run on standard 95 RON unleaded will give zero benefit. You have to run at least 3-4 tanks of premium fuel through before you start seeing any improvement in economy.

Cheers
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh if your going to use it, use only it. There's nop point in dipping between the two.