Induction kit

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
PoloGrant
New

Induction kit

Post by PoloGrant »

Im looking for an induction kit for my 95 N reg Polo 6n. Its a 1.3cl and im struggling to find a kit directly made for this model. My mate has a 1.4l 97 and the engine bay looks exactly the same. He has an induction kit on his too, i think its a k&N 57i, would a kit for a 6n 1.4 fit my 1.3?

As you can tell i know very little about engines! lol

Cheers in advance

Grant
RandonGUY
Bronze Member

Re: Induction kit

Post by RandonGUY »

One question: why?
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

You'll pretty much have no performance gains from it. Judging by the location where they sit (behind the engine) it'll just suck in hot air. It may sound nice if thats your reason for wanting one! Not sure but you could just take your mates off and see if it fits yours, 10min job!
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

As already said above, why?! No real gain, just loss of money from your pocket that you can spend elseware on the Polo!

Any how, here's the available k&n items for '95 1.3 Polo: http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx
PoloGrant
New

Post by PoloGrant »

cheers for the response, i just want something that could give a better performance but not going to bust my pockets! any solutions?
jezza
Gold Member
Location: Yeovil, Somerset & Essex Drives 1.6 6N polo and a G40.

Post by jezza »

Turbo like what im doing! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Lots of ways. Exhaust and manifold is how most people start but u dont get any real bhp out of it.

Best thing really would be to with exhaust system, start with cat back, de-cat/sports cat and manifold. Then get a decent induction kit, BMC CDA is what i beleive is the best. That is what alot of people do. Looking around £600-£700 to do all that. Not sure what is a good exhaust to get but if you can, miltek are good. So are powerflow custom exhausts. Powerflow for my car cost's around £300, manifold, £160, sports cat £150-£200 and BMC £135. But i wont need any of that, (except cat and cat back).

Then you can spend money on camshafts, dont get a great deal of extra power but it will make it stronger. Then there is Con rods, forged pistons, fuel pressure pump, power boost valves, fuel injectors, spark plugs, ht leads... the list can go on but it will all help geta power gain. You only have a 1.3 but a good thing you could do is get a 1.6 AEE head of an engine and put that on your 1.3. Lowers the compression ratio and you will get a little more power out of it.

Dont get a chip though. There pointless regardless of what people say. Get it remapped. Chips are programmed to run in a certain way, or what ever they have been programmed to. Remapping is 100% better as it is custom to suit you car and it will gain more benefits. Yes it is more money but it is soo much more worth it. Plus you cant tell if a car has been remapped as there is no proof, where as if you get a chip if the insurance are good and picky they will find it.
Only other alternative is to get a bigger engine and drop that is.
Anyway get the manifold and exhaust done 1st. Hope it all helps.
RandonGUY
Bronze Member

Post by RandonGUY »

PoloGrant wrote:cheers for the response, i just want something that could give a better performance but not going to bust my pockets! any solutions?
Dude, you are never going to go "quick" in a Polo, let's not beat around the bush! :mrgreen:

If you really want to get some more power, do what Jezza has said already - but why spend so much when you could sell the Polo and upgrade to a bigger engined, better handling, car? Like a Mk2 Golf GTi for example - they are very quick, reliable, and handle well. You can pick them up for £1000 easily.

Just my $0.02 - I may be wrong, but I wouldn't try and make a Polo "quick"...

:)
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

RandonGUY wrote:
PoloGrant wrote:cheers for the response, i just want something that could give a better performance but not going to bust my pockets! any solutions?
Dude, you are never going to go "quick" in a Polo, let's not beat around the bush! :mrgreen:

If you really want to get some more power, do what Jezza has said already - but why spend so much when you could sell the Polo and upgrade to a bigger engined, better handling, car? Like a Mk2 Golf GTi for example - they are very quick, reliable, and handle well. You can pick them up for £1000 easily.

Just my $0.02 - I may be wrong, but I wouldn't try and make a Polo "quick"...

:)
Have to agree, i've got a 1.3 & it'll never win speed awards! :lol:

If you want a fast car then buy a bigger engined car, or do a conversion! Pointless to throw money at the engine, never gonna gain much, it's only 55bhp as standard, so you'll struggle to extract much more out of it without spending wads of cash. Spend on cosmetics, and CRUISE! 8)
PoloGrant
New

Post by PoloGrant »

Cheers again for the response, id love to do all the stuff with new cat, exhaust etc... :D but as you all said its gonna cost loads! Im reluctant to get rid of my polo, only my second car, pretty much my first ( the first car lasted a month) and i have done a few mods to it. But i think it will have to go so i can get something a bit more powerful . The only problem with that is insurance. Im kind of unsure what to do car wise too because im off to uni in september all being well so what ever i do, the car will just be sat there! :(
randomage
Silver Member

Post by randomage »

best thing to do is just leave the engine alone, especially if you're going to uni soon. I have a 1.0, which as most people will agree is gutless in comparative terms. However, there is a theory (and i'm with this) that getting a gutless car for your first 1 or 2 years is a good thing, as it makes you learn to get the most out of what you have. As i said, mine is a 1.0, but i can still get 0-60 in under 10 secs, and i've learnt how to go quickly in a car that isn't designed to. you learn the limits of it, and you learn to gradually push them. don't be an idiot, but see what you can do with your little 1.3. you'd be surprised.

bonus being, when you get a bigger and better car, you can REALLY go fast :D
PoloGrant
New

Post by PoloGrant »

Yeh thats very true. I will deffo appreciate the speed when i come out of uni and can have something more powerful. but 0-60 in under 10 secs... im impressed for a 1.0 litre. i think i have managed about 13 seconds so far lol. I went through a stage where i tried to learn its limits, like cornering speeds but the car spun and i ended up facing oncoming traffic on a carridgeway :S and that was only bout 30mph on a slip road! Its better now its lower.
I used to have a 1.1 saxo and that was alot quicker than my polo, 0-60 was about 10 and top end was about 107. It took over a 2miles for me to get 100 in the polo! Unfortunately the saxo didnt last long... a careless tractor ploughed me off the road. But it did give me money for a polo!

Cheers for the advice though, il see what i can do with the engine standard. :D
jezza
Gold Member
Location: Yeovil, Somerset & Essex Drives 1.6 6N polo and a G40.

Post by jezza »

randomage wrote:, but i can still get 0-60 in under 10 secs,

? Are u tryin to pull the wool over my eyes? my 1.6 does 0-60 in 10, and that was after i serviced it and upgraded engine bits. Standard 1.6 is 12.2 secs and 1.0 are 18.5 sec.
MBlaze
Getting There!

Post by MBlaze »

jezza wrote:
randomage wrote:, but i can still get 0-60 in under 10 secs,

? Are u tryin to pull the wool over my eyes? my 1.6 does 0-60 in 10, and that was after i serviced it and upgraded engine bits. Standard 1.6 is 12.2 secs and 1.0 are 18.5 sec.

HaHa i agree! my cars 1.6 engine is standard and it takes me average of 13 secs
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

randomage wrote:best thing to do is just leave the engine alone, especially if you're going to uni soon. I have a 1.0, which as most people will agree is gutless in comparative terms. However, there is a theory (and i'm with this) that getting a gutless car for your first 1 or 2 years is a good thing, as it makes you learn to get the most out of what you have. As i said, mine is a 1.0, but i can still get 0-60 in under 10 secs, and i've learnt how to go quickly in a car that isn't designed to. you learn the limits of it, and you learn to gradually push them. don't be an idiot, but see what you can do with your little 1.3. you'd be surprised.

bonus being, when you get a bigger and better car, you can REALLY go fast :D

You hit the nail on the head there buddy, im doing the same thing. as my 6n is only a 1.0l.
PoloGrant
New

Post by PoloGrant »

Took my polo out last night to my nearest modified car event (MFN) about a 20 mile journey to see what i could get from the little beast! Went quite well, managed to keep in convoy with the others in the group 1.4 6n (jimmyboyS) and a 1.8 SRI corsa so i dont feel to bad now about its lack of performance. Was hitting 85-90 nicely but got in trouble as we came back to the slower roads... The car started making a loud whistling noise sounded like it was coming from the front. Turned out to be the altenator belt according to a mechanic. On the way back seemed to be ok again and we were in a larger convoy, now with 106 gti's, rallye's and a rover coupe, still was able to keep with them nicely, well except when they floored it! But im much more impressed with it after going on a mini cruise.
Cheers again for all the responce, think il keep it standard now!