Bouncy Bouncy

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Sutch
Bronze Member

Bouncy Bouncy

Post by Sutch »

Oops, this may have happened from standard in a matter of hours.. :P

On AP Coilovers, and all brand new top mounts, bearings, even new nuts and washers, OCD :D

Anyway, bumpy is an understatement, been in plenty of cars with coilys n never been this bumpy, to do with new top mounts?

Or if I raise it will it become more 'smoooth' in other peoples' experience?

Cheers, Ed
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Bouncy Bouncy

Post by alexperkins »

Its nothing to do with the mounts. its merely due to the reduced travel in the springs and shocks so it cant compensate for bumps in the road
Aries
New

Post by Aries »

Thats why I'm skeptical about getting coilies :( I guess you gotta comprimise, maybe just raise it slightly, find the point in which you can bare it.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Mine aren't bouncy but you certainly feel a lot of the imperfections in the road. You get used to it! I guess the difference might be that mine are adjustable for damping as well as height. When I had them on the softest setting it was bouncy as hell but I quickly got the fronts tightened up (all the way to hardest then back one full turn) and it has been soooooooo much better.

I believe that getting coilovers fitted was the best money I ever spent on my car, it makes such a difference and can put a big grin on your face in the twisties!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

looks awesome mate! loving the turbs, they look great in black, always thought that.

if it was my car i'd certainly not raise it, i'd just put up with it, as it looks great.

it's a bit of which comes first though, show or go. depends which one comes first with you!

mine is pretty painful to drive sometimes, i'm used to it though, and works well for me as it stops me from driving it too hard.
Sutch
Bronze Member

Post by Sutch »

Cheers all, think I will keep it like this Tim, just a bit annoyed I guess, mates got some ebays £200 jobbies and the ride seems nicer than my bouncy-ness, but guess everything will bed in etc.

Another question, got the wheels rebalanced yesterday but still get a steering wobble at 60mph, havent tried to go faster an see if it goes as I dont want to damage anything.

Getting Tracking done tomorrow, should this sort it? I've never really heard about tracking creating a wobble..

Paranoid something isn't right on it..

Edit: Just had tracking done somewhere else and still happens :(
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

they may not have done it quite right mate. take it back and explain the situation, and ask them to check it.

it may be your tyre pressure also? you may have a slow puncture. thats what i'm currently experiencing!
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

when you say its 'bouncy', is it more like hard bumpy or much like a uncontrolled bounce and takes a while to settle, like when a cars shockers are worn out?
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Great looking car mate, super looking ride height

I am after some AP coilovers but am a little concerned about the bumpy ride. I live in the sticks as well so there are alot of potholes and poor road surfaces.

Has anybody gone down the route of lowering springs, performance shocks & 16" wheels?
JPR_polo_gti
Silver Member

Post by JPR_polo_gti »

I bought the cheap coilover set from ebay and they were fine at first but soon the rear dampers gave in and the car became bouncy as hell... didn't like the ride either way, just got KW lowering kit(springs and uprated dampers), it only lowers 40 mm but I'm hoping they'll provide best of both worlds.. just waiting to fit it.
Sutch
Bronze Member

Post by Sutch »

Cheers for the replies, nothing is really happening with it yet, bloody exams, but will sort it asap and let people know to cure the curiosity (if that makes at all sense) lol

6N2 GTI 00

Even though I complain about the bumpyness I'd go for the AP's, look amazing quality for the money and they are awesome on nice roads and potholes arent that bad, the worst bit is when Virgin have been out, laid a new cable and then filled it in, there is the slight dip so you drop into it and then sort of bounce back out.

Also I've lost some of the spongeiness of the seats as I'm now on TT leathers which as more rigid than standard..

I'm not meaning to contradict myself and make it a difficult decision lol

Ed
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Cheers for the info Ed,

To be honest although I like the standard smoothness of the Polo I dont think I would mind it being bumpy. My previous car had hydragas suspension which was a nightmare and the shocks had gone on that so I am used to being thrown about abit.

I want the coilovers for the cornering advantages and improved look of the car.

How much did your AP's cost mate? most places seem to be selling them for £365.00 for the set.

Ben,
Sutch
Bronze Member

Post by Sutch »

Ben, no worries

Haha, well these should feel a bit better than past experiences then, I got mine from http://www.venommotorsport.com/

I also looked around for ages, and everywhere has exactly the same price, only took a few days for them to arrive too. Then just got myself all top mounts from VW themselves.

Ed
adam_0612
Gold Member

Post by adam_0612 »

i think with all coilovers there is going to be a 'bumpy' ride

mine for sure is really bumpy and there a decent set of coilovers, weitecs.

You get used to it to be honest, doesnt bother me now. And when you get out and see the stance, its definetley worth it 8)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

yep, I'd pick bumpy ride with a spot on stance over comfortable and riding sky high anyyy day 8)