Help!! Non runner

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
smickers4
New

Help!! Non runner

Post by smickers4 »

Have just purchased a 97 1.9d mk4 6n 5 door polo in dragon green, mot to september, taxed to july.
Wanted to drive this while my mk3 vr6 golf is off the road and then pass the polo onto my daughter as her first car.

Picked it up for £125 knowing it was'nt running and brought it home on a trailer.
Bodywork and interior are in good condition so think I will try and get her on the road.
Owner mentioned about oil pump, she is not seized and turns over starting briefly sometimes but cutting out when revs go down below 3000.
Does this sound like the oil pump or not????? Or would i be better changing the engine???
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. :D
ticki
Sponsor

Re: Help!! Non runner

Post by ticki »

when a car cant start it's usually one or two things. Electric's or fuel.

have that all checked out. before escalating the problem i think.

good luck
smickers4
New

Post by smickers4 »

Could you give me some pointers on fuel or electrical? :D
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

You say it'll start & it will run above 3000rpm, does the oil lamp come on? If the pump wasn't working you'd have no pressure & this should be lit. Get an oil pressure guage you can put in place of the sender, that will dispel the pump out of the equation.
carlgannon
Getting There!

Post by carlgannon »

simlar problem with mine, peopole who have seen it think it is the altonator
smickers4
New

Post by smickers4 »

Spoke to the mechanic who put it off the road and he said there was no oil getting round the top of the engine and thought it was the oil pump.
He also said when it was driving there was alot of vibration from the engine when idling, saying that something was out of balance within the engine.
He recommended that I replace the engine, which I can pick up for £200 and can get my brother in law to fit with help from myself.
Any other comments welcome. :D
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

A replacement engine for £200, & beer money to fit. Not worth spending out time & effort to find the problem, that could be as expensive to fix! :)
smickers4
New

Post by smickers4 »

Picking up replacement AEF engine on friday I hope,and have her back on the road for monday!! :D