Intermittent starting problem . . .

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
mobypaterson
New

Intermittent starting problem . . .

Post by mobypaterson »

Hey guys

First post tonight so be kind! I've got a 1996 1.0 VW Polo in bright green and for a year now it's been spectacularly reliable. . . until now. It's just past the 60k miles point and the problem started this afternoon.

After a reasonably long drive this afternoon my partner parked up for lunch and when she came back out the car wouldn't start. She managed to get it jump started using some very willing volunteers and drove home without any further issues.

I had a bash at starting it from the key when she got home and nothing. Dash light come on, fans work, lights go on but no engine. No starter. No little click from the solenoid. . . nothing.

The fact I have dash lights coming on makes me think its the starter that gubbed. . . However a few hours later I go outside and try it again and it fires up first time no problem!

Anyone ever had this before? If so could you enlighten me?

Also could someone please please please point out where the hell the starter motor is located. I consider myself fairly car friendly but i'm damned if i can find it anywhere.

Any advice or ideas offered guys would be awesome!

Dave
cavillas
New

Re: Intermittent starting problem . . .

Post by cavillas »

It could be a faulty earth connection from starter or from engine to body.
lewis-mackenzie
Getting There!

Post by lewis-mackenzie »

it could be the syatrer relay.
nickyb05
New

Post by nickyb05 »

had a similar sort of thing happen to me but it turned out to be the ignition switch if its any help.

nick
mobypaterson
New

Post by mobypaterson »

cheers for that guys.

went straight for the ignition switch as it's been feeling really loose recently. one replacement later and she's back to her good old reliable self!! :D

many thanks!