Moved back in time a little! 20v 6N!

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Tigz
Gold Member

Moved back in time a little! 20v 6N!

Post by Tigz »

Hey guys, been around the forum a while but been hanging out in the GTI forum until now.

I have a Lupo which I'm building (well, the build has been on going since May 2005 :lol: ) and I had a 6N2 GTI while my Lupo was off the road.

Come across a 6N 1.8 20v Turbo built by Dubsport back in 2005 for sale and managed to do a deal with the owner and did the trade.
The engine has been recently replaced with a 25k mile APP engine, it has a Cupra R intake, 225 throttle body and injectors and a K03S Turbo boosting to 0.7bar.
Emerald stand alone management takes car of the fueling :)
Neither myself or the previous owner have put the car on the rollers so I have no idea on the power, but its fast enough to embarrass some pretty brisk cars but not that fast that the handling is compromised.

The car is booked into the body shop on the 22nd to get the front end and mirrors painted, need to get hold of a standard 6N6N tail gate and a 16v rear bumper before the rear end gets done.
It came with a 6N2 tailgate with boot popper, I swapped this over for a smoothed 6N tailgate that came with it, but I want to put it back to standard.
Tempted with some 6N2 rear lamps though.

The rear beam has 6N2 GTI discs and pads, while the front is taken care of with some 280s.
Had to replace the discs and fluid as they were shot, check out the Video to see why! lol

Not sure what to do with the wheels, I love these rims, have a set freshly refurbished ready for the summer, but I'm tempted with some 7.5x15s just to fill the arches a little more.

Engine wise, all it needs is a better air filter, and a 'cold side' dump valve as the standard crappy plastic one needs to go!
Gonna get switchable map installed though, as fuel consumption is pretty poor to say the least.
Every day use doesn't need anymore than 150 hp IMO.

Put some audio in this weekend, although I'm not sure if I should take it back out again.
Nice to have some good sounds again, but the weight.. lol

Anyway thats it.
Just wanted to say hi!

My 'old' Polo

NOZ
Platinum Member

Re: Moved back in time a little! 20v 6N!

Post by NOZ »

Alright mate, good project you've got your hands on there.

I've been thinking about getting my hands on Ash's 20vT although I couldn't afford the excessive insurance and I need a daily too!

All you have to do is make sure the conversions done properly and keep it running good. It's always good to have sounds but I also think its no point putting in the effort for speed if you ruin that effort by going obese lol. You could just upgrade the mids etc for better sounds but I wouldn't bother with the sub. Its all upto at the end of the day.

If you get it running good you could see 250bhp atleast. One of the local lads has a mk5 running 280bhp with a KO3 for the meantime which is nice. Let just say it looks like a lot of fun :mrgreen:
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

Hey dude

The insurance isn't that bad really.
My 6N2 GTI cost me £480 for myself and the wife, this one has cost us £850.

The conversion is a good one, there are a few issues (leaks and rattles) that need addressing but overall its pretty much spot on.
Just looking into upgrading to a K04 at the moment.

I have a pair of RE XXX 6.5" mids I'll be using in my Lupo.
I'm serious concidering knocking up some quick door builds to throw them in here and removing the wood and sub.
Don't get me wrong, Im not going to say its slow as that would be silly, but its noticabilly slower.
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

Lol for me insurance is bad as I currently pay £748 on my valver TPFT!!! This would go sky high due to my location and parking on the street.

Getting a KO4 should work a treat and sound tasty too :twisted: My mates got a TT 1.8T in his so the KO4's on the list which should see it to 300bhp. best to sort them niggling issues you have so its running reliably first. Having major subs in the back is defo noticeable so the door card thought is probably best.

Are you keeping the interior or removing the back seats atleast?
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

Ive got two choices with it really, my Lupo will be painted by the weekend so the first option is to remove everything and swap them over into the Lupo.
That would become the thrid engine conversion in the Lupo in 5 years of it being off the road so I dont want to do it!

The second option which is more likely is to rip everything out the Polo that isn't needed, lift up the gearstick and linkage and turn it into an out and out track car.

I think that is the route I will end up taking :)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

loving it dude. track car for the win 8)
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

8) :lol: :P

Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

Last pic of the car before it goes to the body shop tomorrow night :)

Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

:D

Just need a 16v rear bumper now and its all set for the track!

Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Looks good, altouhg definitely keep the 8v bumper!!! ~Just get the front recess smoothed 8)
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

Fantastic buy! I agree! Smooth 8v bumpers FTW!
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

From Santa Pod this weekend :D

In total between myself and my mate the little car managed 38 runs up the strip with no problems at all.

My best was 14.33, but my friend managed a 14.08 in it!

https://www.youtube*.com/watch?v=vQnWEffLaKQ