New owner/member

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
M@Turner
Platinum Member

New owner/member

Post by M@Turner »

Hi all.

Just put down a deposit for a silver 3door GTi and now cant wait to go and pick it up. Having looking for a new car for 3 months, i finally decided on the polo. I couldn't believe how quickly these excellent looking cars go off the market. I believe i've made a good choice though.
:)
Anyway here's a little info about me.
I'm 18years old, and been driving a 16 year old Nissan Sunny 1.3 for 10 months. After driving my brothers Civic type-R though, i decided i must have a faster car. I live in Sheffield, which i believe is where Josh is from, and i hope that i can get to some GTi meets in my area.

Having quickly looking through the forum, i'm sure that many of you can help me with any problems i have with my new car.

Fantastic site by the way.
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

hi mate welcome to the club....

are you buying Josh's old GTi?

I'm at Huddersfield at the moment but lived in Sheffield all my life. If your looking for local meets then click the pic in my sig
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Welcome mate,

You've made a good choice of a motor, it'll bring you years of joy driving the GTI!

I'm in love with mine!

Chris
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

I've purchased my GTi from a dealer in Chesterfield. I was interested in Josh's but when i emailed him, it had been sold.

I was just wondering, my polo will have set me back £7495 when i go and pick it up. Is this a decent price considering its done 35,383 miles. The guy i'm getting it from is having it serviced before i collect it, so i thought this was quite fair of the bloke.

I am worried about this pedal box and clutch problem many of you are on about though. I didn't know this until i put my deposit down. Is it likely its going to cost me loads when/if it breaks.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi M@

I have decided to keep my car, it hasn't been sold (just so everyone else knows lol).

Does your car come with any warranty?

If it does, then you should be ok... If not, get it's registration number and find out where it used to get serviced (which dealership) and ask them to tell you whether the pedal box has been replaced or not.

If it's not, I'd be cautious, as it's an expensive job to fix if it brakes as you need Pedal Box, Clutch Cable, Full Clutch inc Release Bearings and all that labour!

Price sounds about right.
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

The car comes with a 3 month extended warranty. Apparently it was first owned by a person who worked at the local VW garage, then its last owner was a copper, so i would imagine its been taken to the right places for services or if owt's gone wrong. I'll look through all the receipts and paperwork thoroughly when i pick it up though.

How come you kept your car. :?:

Where can i get a short shift lever for a mk v gti. I think the gear throw is to long for what is supposed to be a sporty car. I hear it makes a lot of difference.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

I kept it for the same reasons you are buying yours! They're a lovelly car, and I had just temporarely fallen out with mine lol.

www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk for all your needs (servicing to performance upgrades)... They're in Chesterfield (near the bowling ally) and they're ace. You need a B&M Sport Shifter... They've fitted a few now to Polo GTi's and I absolutely love mine!

Tell them I told you about them (and mention this forum to get a discount!)
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

Cheers mate.

How much will i be expecting to pay? I might pop in and see them as soon as i go and pick it up. I'll have to see how much cash i have to spend though first.
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

I've got it. Just picked it up this morning, and i already love driving it. Fingers crossed i'm not going to get any major problems with it and i'll have many years of fun driving it. :D
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

enjoy it mate!
how much did your insurance cost?
im 18 as well, and its costing me at least a grand. :(
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Carmadaaron, thats not bad, a grand insurance, I'm paying that and I'm 26 (going on 40!) but it is my first insurance and no no claims bonus.

M@Turner, I'm sure the car will bring many years of joyful driving, I've had mine about 8 months and I still love her!
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

The car is insured under my mums name, and i'm a named second driver. I will be doing all the driving however. :twisted: We'll not let the insurance company no that though. :wink:

As for cost, it is £830 fully comp with my mums 9 years protected no claims. Rather expensive but is the cheapest i could get.
waveydavey
Sponsor

Post by waveydavey »

Hi,

I'm a fellow owner in Sheffield.

Mine's a 2001 silver 3-door on a private Y plate.

I paid just over 500 quid i think for my insurance and i'm with Halifax Insurance. When i got the car in January 2003 they actually said they wouldn't insure me because i was under 30 and that was their minimum age for this car. Then they let me have the insurance seeing as it was my 30th birthday 2 months later in the March.

Out of interest how many other Sheffield Polo GTi-ers are there???? I've seen a silver one with blacked out front VW badge and looked like dark rear windows driving around the Hillsborough area..... And another silver one with graduated silver / black windows near me in Chapeltown.

Cheers

Dave.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

waveydavey wrote:Out of interest how many other Sheffield Polo GTi-ers are there???? I've seen a silver one with blacked out front VW badge and looked like dark rear windows driving around the Hillsborough area.....
That'll be me then!

Nice to see you on the forum!

I see the one with graduated tints almost every day on my way to/from work... We always flash our lights at each other!

He works in the Hope Valley.

Not sure if I've "flashed" at you? I try to flash my lights at every GTi I see!

Anyway, welcome again!

We'll have to have a Sheffield "GTi Only" meet!

8)
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

or you could all come to the york meet i've organised!