Lowering problem HELP ASAP!

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
polowoof
New

Lowering problem HELP ASAP!

Post by polowoof »

I am new to the forum and I hope if anyone can help here.
My 1997 1.4 CL have been lowered by 60mm using a set of shock absorber and spring bought from ebay. As it is a second hand i dont know the brand.

ANyway the car gone very low but got rubbing problem at the back arch with my 195/50/15 tyres espically i hv stuff loaded in the boot or people siting in the back. To solve this problem I have three options
Keep the spring at theback n swap the shock absorber with the standard suspension
however i think this will be pointless for the purpose of getting this suspension modification.

Get a pair of 40mmlowered spring for the back and keep the shock absorber but I dont know if this would fit the shock aborber in in terms of diameter and also how much higher would it go up because the shoker absorber is shorter that the standard suspension at the back.

Arch rolling
I am not sure if this would solve the probelm if i have stuff loaded + people at the back.

cannot replace the tyres becasue they are brand new
Does anyone which are the best options for me?

on the other hand, the steering gone a lot lighter since the car gone lowererd, is there a reason for this?

THanks
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Re: Lowering problem HELP ASAP!

Post by racerjonzo »

i wouldnt have thought it would have rubbed so badly, especially at the rear.. but hey
i was gonna say change to a smaller width tyre, im running 185/50/15's at the mo, no scrubbage at all.
another option is looking into removing the arch lining, take off the wheel, and its a few screws or nuts and itll pop off give a bit more room to play with, had to do this while running 16's on my last polo

hope this helps, if not someone else will pop along soon enough

John
polowoof
New

Post by polowoof »

dont think changing the tyres are an option becasue i have only bought them + the fact that my alloy only fit 195/15 but thx anyway

I was thinking arch rolling would be the best~ may be...becasue i dont hv to do anything with the suspension again..

any thoughts? Need to keep the cost as minmum as possible~
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Post by racerjonzo »

your wheels will take a smaller width tyre ie the 195 bit, like 175 or 185 itll just have a slight stretch look, hence itll avoid rubbing a little, but as you said if youve just bought new tyres and not wanting to replace tyres then arc rolling would be sensible, or get the extended and add spacers, to stick the wheels out a little bit, hence wont rub on the inside, just watch the outer arch when doing so.

how low are you down? ive heard once lowered with wider wheels there will be rubbing but nothing too major, only on full lock or turning quickly at high speeds.

John
Lowrider6n
Getting There!

Post by Lowrider6n »

ive lowered mine only 50 mm on standard shocks, and when there are people in the back it rubs, as said above, either roll ur arches or strech ur tires givin that euro look:P proper dub style:D
polowoof
New

Post by polowoof »

To racerjonzo

How does adding spacer help becasue i think the tyres are manily rubbing the arch but not sure if there is also a chance that it rubs the inner bit~ cannot really tell from sound of it~

I have lowered it by 60mm~ i get problem even wheni go to food shopping~
polowoof
New

Post by polowoof »

To Lowrider6n

Did you managage to live with it? u avoid taking ppl on board~ or u go v slowly on rough road..wt about when u hv stuff loaded?

wt size of tyres did u hv ?
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Post by racerjonzo »

yea sorry i meant to say, if you were going to get your arches rolled, or extended you could put small spacers on to push tyres out a little hence it shouldnt rub on the inside and the outside will be rolled etc hence no rubbing there. to be honest i would change tyres, less work. might be more money but its the simplest way.

i had 16's on my polo and was lowered 40mm just to close the gap a bit and mine didnt even rub, im stumped at how much this must be rubbing to annoy you so much to consider alot of work to fit these tyres.

i would change the tyres, just my opinion, but its your car in the end.

John
Lowrider6n
Getting There!

Post by Lowrider6n »

heya mate yeahh still living wif it:P im running on 195/55/15's and its not a problem really, i did have 2 12'' subs in my boot and when i had 3 people in the back it wud scrub like fudge, but ive taken the subs out and when its loaded with 3 people it doesnt scrubb... when it did scrub mind i had a blue ring on the outside of my tyre lol...its only tempory anyway untill i get coilovers and slam it to the floor then my back seats will be out lol