Wireing 9n3 Boot Light

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
MGrove03
Bronze Member

Wireing 9n3 Boot Light

Post by MGrove03 »

Looking to retrofit a boot light into my 9n3 polo i've looked at the guide on polo9n.info and it just seems to be running a constant 12V feed whenever the ignition is switched on. Is there anyway i can wire it up so that it will only come on when my boot is open? Or do they run a constant 12V feed anyway?

I know this must be possible as a light comes up on my dash when the boot is open so there must be wires somewhere.

Polo9n.info Guide Here
AWESOMEAUTOMOTIVE
New

Re: Wireing 9n3 Boot Light

Post by AWESOMEAUTOMOTIVE »

yes connect the positive side of your light to a permanent 12v supply
then you need to find the brown/white wire that connects to the pin switch built into the boot lock
this can be found behind the trim on either the drivers or passengers side in the boot near the tailights
MGrove03
Bronze Member

Post by MGrove03 »

and where do i attach this brown/white wire?
MGrove03
Bronze Member

Post by MGrove03 »

Finally managed to get time tonight to wire this in!

Was pretty easy using the guide linked in my first post. Only thing was i had to run wires from all the pins (I'm guessing something to do with the central locking for the boot) and the wires that go into pin 1 have slightly bigger connectors than the rest so also require one of part number 000 979 023 E which is the female connector and the equivalent male connector that goes into this (don't have part number for this as my volkswagen dealer gave me one they had in their wirebox :D)

Also i did not need to look for the brown/white wire as AWESOMEAUTOMOTIVE suggested (thanks anyway) as you splice into pin 5 on the adapter you make which causes the light to turn off when the boot is closed.

Now i can actually see stuff in my boot at night! Dunno why they don't just fit them as standard on all models

If anyone tries this and needs any help then just fire me a PM 8)