next car for runaround

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
kipper
Platinum Member

next car for runaround

Post by kipper »

decided im gonna sell my car now as i cant be bothered to get the body work sorted and i want something faster.
basically i wanna get a cheap reliable car thats fairly fast as my car is only a 1 litre so annoying me now after nearly 6 years of owning it.

thinking of getting a mk4 polo 1.4 16v or a mk3 golf 1.8 or 2 litre gti. ideally wanna get a black mk4 golf gti turbo (anniversary one would be amazing) but as i dont have funds to get one yet i just wanna get a different car cheap as a runaround so i can save up money and wait till i get a new job then start saving for one.

i know some of u r probably reading this thinking 'ang on a min, u wanna save money but get a faster car?' basically my car had loads of probs and now i still have probs with it so wanna get rid of it and get a reliable car (hopefully) for watever i sell my car for and then take it from there.

wat u guys think or n e ideas on other cars i could get? looking at 1.8 or 2l engines. n e thing faster is just unnecessary power.
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Re: next car for runaround

Post by Torq-Al »

Depends on your definition of runaround!

If you want a car for short hop journeys i'd stick to a 1.4 16v, cheap on tax fuel & insurance. I've got a Passat 1.8T & my MPG runs at 22 around town, although on a run will do 38+. A golf will run the same sort of economy in both 1.8 & 2.0.

Will give you more cash to spend on an anni in the future! :wink:
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

a good polo 16v with not to higher miles is quite high. not looking to spend more then 1000 pounds on it tho. preferabley a reliable one to.

same with the golf.
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

For a grand you'll struggle to find a reasonable 1.8T Golf, even the 2ltr GTi will probs be out of range. I looked for a while to find a good mk4 Turbo & most started at 2.5k, thats why I landed up with the Passat as it only cost me 1500! :lol:
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

i mean im looking at the mk3 golf for now as a another car to replace mine then save up the money to get a mk4 golf 1.8t gti maybe even an anniversary if i spot one cheap enough or if i have the money.
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

For a grand you could find a good mk2 or 3 Golf GTi if you look around (or a VR6 if you want a big smile from that VR soundtrack!!), always the odd one floating around on local VW forums thats been looked after. :D
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

thought about a vr6 but its unnecessary power for me.

i now have a golf mk4 1.8 t 88000 black fsh. gotta pick it up first.