My 6N cut out in dangerous situations... twice.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Dub-Ninja
Getting There!

My 6N cut out in dangerous situations... twice.

Post by Dub-Ninja »

Yo guys.
Just a bit of a problem with my 6N. I'm not sure whether it has ABS as it's an S reg.
But the thing is. If iy slam the brakes on in an emergency situation and the tyres skid. My car cuts out. It's happened twice. First time wasn't so bad but second time.... I went into a junction. Thank god nobody was there or I would've been hit from left and right. It was wet and I was travelling at about 40 in an area I didn't know and there was a sudden bend. I spotted it early enough but when I braked, my tyres just skidded and I understeered and my car cut out. The steerin went heavy as well. I started it up again and everything seemed fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Re: My 6N cut out in dangerous situations... twice.

Post by Polo96CL »

I'm pretty sure these cars have an emergency shut off function in emergencies, to stop the fuel pump working or something like that, might be related? Heavy steering i'd associate with the power cut off, hence no PAS.
Dub-Ninja
Getting There!

Post by Dub-Ninja »

Ah right I see.
Thanks for the help.
I just had a friend in the passenger seat first time it happened and it scared the crap out of her. I was just a bit baffled lol.
SlimDubs
New

Post by SlimDubs »

Ye this happened to me as well mate.
Mine's a 1996 n I was told it had no ABS.
Not sure why it cuts out when the wheels lock up tho.
Dub-Ninja
Getting There!

Post by Dub-Ninja »

It really had me worried. I was stranded in the middle of a T-Junction!
Lol.
s**t my friends up as well...
Petrol_Head
Silver Member

Post by Petrol_Head »

WOW!!

Sorry for not replying earlier... I thought someone else would have said what this is.

I had the same problem a few years ago and was convinced there was a major fault as it was so irregular... as every now and then put my foot down on the clutch and then ... boom... car would cut out while steering!!!

It is not a major concerning hard to fix fault... all you need to do is spray carb cleaner into the throttle body... and then rev the car for 5 mins while at a stand steel while not in gear.

If your a muppet like I am.. your pay a expensive Volkswagen dealership to do this and get charged round £150 for them to do this... they will tell you they will do a diagnostic first... but thing is... i doubt they do!!!!!!

Read in the first thread... I believe they cover this fault as it is so common on our mk 4's.

Anyway.. its nothing to worry about .... good luck and don't be a muppet like i was! :oops:

Hope I made your christmas! :D
Dub-Ninja
Getting There!

Post by Dub-Ninja »

Hey cheers man.
You've deffo made my christmas a tiny bit better.
Flexi pipe on my exhaust snapped.
I desperately need a new one but most scrapyards are shut for christmas so my dub'll be off the road for a while -.-
Thanks for the help though!
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

You said you slammed the brakes on BUT did you also dip the clutch first? 6N's cutting off when dipping the clutch is the 'erratic rev's' syndrome. If you don't feel the revs drop prior to stalling then this wouldn't be the problem and cleaning the TB wouldn't fix it either. If symptoms are as described by Petrol-Head then search the term up. Sometimes cleaning the TB helps, if not then it can be other culprits causing it.

Years ago I had this issue but not with emergency stops! Twice it even cut out on the motorway at 70mph, I lost PAS and brakes :shock: However, this was because the car was too cold, which hinders cars with the 'erratic revs' issue during the colder seasons!