Anyone had a bad problem with the engine miss firing???

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Petrol_Head
Silver Member

Anyone had a bad problem with the engine miss firing???

Post by Petrol_Head »

Hi,

A few days ago my car wouldn't start.

I left it until the snow melted and it was a bit warmer (yesterday) and I cleaned the distributor cap and the rotar bit.

The car started!!!

I drove it a few roads and then noticed the petrol was low.. before I had a chance to get to a petrol station the car started to jump and cut out on me.

I managed to push the car threw 4 roads to a petrol station.

Whacked £15 petrol inn and then the car wouldn't start.

Got the RAC out... and he checked the distributor cap and then the air filter.

After about 10 mins of trying to get the car started he took the air filter off and sprayed something into the throttle body while I turned the ignition... we were having no luck! :roll:

It was only when I was reving the car and he was spraying and making the car rev did we manage to start the car.

HOWEVER.... The car is not happy to start and when driving it has a cut out where it doesn't want to work???

I was convinced it was just 2nd gear where the problem was... but it can dip out and loose power in 3rd gear as well?

ANYONE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM OR MIGHT NO WHAT THE PROB IS???
Last edited by Petrol_Head on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowrider6n
Getting There!

Re: Anyone had a bad problem with the engine miss firing???

Post by Lowrider6n »

if its anything like what happened to my car its not the gears slippin, it jus feels as thou, when you are driving down the road has it cut out n wen u raise the clutch it bumps itself? mybe you havent experienced that yet, but i had to changed the distributor, they are common to go on mk4's i got the cap aswell to be safe... if that doesnt cure it, go thru the electrical, coil pack...leads... spark plugs...

hope it helps:)
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

When the revs drop and try reviving itself it is the 'erratic revs' problem common on 6n's. This would usually happen when you're coming to a stop and breaking or dipping the clutch. Search the term on the forum and you'll find so many culprits. The colder weather tends to reap havoc on cars with this issue when usually it'll be find during the normal hotter weather.
Petrol_Head
Silver Member

Post by Petrol_Head »

Thank you for your reply's... the rev's don't rev themselves or go eratic .. It just bumps its self at a certain speed in 2 nd gear... looses power and wants to stool but doesn't?

Spoke to a few pro's, and they have suggested to change the fuel filter first... as it could be all the muck that could be in the fuel filter from when I ran out of petrol!

I have a fuel filter (£10)... only prob ...is waiting for decent weather to try and replace it!!!!
Petrol_Head
Silver Member

Post by Petrol_Head »

Replaced the fuel filter.... really really simple!

Then replaced the rotar arm.

It's working but the dials can go crazy and hit the deck (the rev meter can have mind of its own.)

I think it might be a case of changing the temp sensor?
polosam
New

Post by polosam »

i had a problem wich sound the similar to this...
car kept tryin 2 die on me and run on 3 cylinders and stuff,
so i sprayed a load of wd-40 on and around my leads,
started the car and let it warm up and it was sorted.

basiclly the leads were damp..... and sparks were arking between them!
my car wa cutting out in lower rev's
sam
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

If your dials are going crazy it's well worth checking your engine earths and other earths.
Chaosphere
New

Post by Chaosphere »

I seem to have the same problem right now. Drove it home yesterday from work and the car was ok. Nipped in the house for 5 mins and when i got back in the car and restarted the engine it was idling rather funny. When accelerating to around 2000 revs the car shakes a bit. No idea what it could be but im guessing maybe this thread could help me out. Im going to try the WD40 on/around my leads suggestion tommorrow but i was wondering if someone could tell me where i can find my spark plugs? I dont have a haynes manual and cant find a diagram or pic online anywhere...