It's been a while

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
polokaj
Getting There!

It's been a while

Post by polokaj »

Hello All,

Don't know if anyone remembers me, it's been a few years!

I used to have a Polo MK4 16V back in the day. I sold it and haven't had a car in two years. I just bought a Polo MK5 GTI 2000 and need some advice.

The car is pretty much standard just the way I wanted it, the alloys are pretty corroded, I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere to get them refurbed around the Manchester area?

Also I would like to put in a double din headunit, anyone done this? I was thinking of getting one of these, anyone had any experience?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-LCD-2-DIN-In-Ca ... 35a68939e5

Thanks for any help, i'll post some pics when I get a chance.
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Re: It's been a while

Post by Polo96CL »

Hiya mate :)

There are a few guys who have put the Double Din headunits in, one off the top of my head is Alex Perkins. I think they look much better than the single din but you'll have to loose the cubby hole :(
polokaj
Getting There!

Post by polokaj »

Polo96CL wrote:Hiya mate :)

There are a few guys who have put the Double Din headunits in, one off the top of my head is Alex Perkins. I think they look much better than the single din but you'll have to loose the cubby hole :(
Thanks bud, figured I'd have to loose the cubby hole, oh well theres always the huge glove box :lol:
polokaj
Getting There!

Post by polokaj »

Any ideas on how to take out the standard gamma headunit?

Don't have any keys but it doesn't look like there is any space to use them anyway!!

Thanks.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

There are removal slots in the Gamma unit, either side of the LCD display. I posted a picture up aaages ago and can't find it now though :?

You can get hold of radio removal keys but last time, I cut up an old plastic library card and used that instead! You'd need to taper the strip down and insert the thinner end first if you try this method. Its a bit fiddly but it does work!
polokaj
Getting There!

Post by polokaj »

Thanks another question lol.

I would like to stick in 6.5" front and back, I had the panels of the other day and the speakers at the back are mounted on a plate, I was wondering if I was to install some beefier speakers at the back, the plate would shake and you'd get a lot of rumbling. Is this the case?

Any advice would be appreciated. I was thinkning of getting these speakers

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts-a1703i.html